Recoil Pad Help!!!

j3564wost

While attempting to replace my worn out and gummy recoil pad on a Bansner Stock I found out it is not screwed on...it apparently is glued on? I am planning on replacing it with a grind to fit Limbsaver pad. Any idea on how to get the old pad off?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 16055684084655801111915994517254.jpg
    16055684084655801111915994517254.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 297
Thanks guys!

I will grind the majority off with my belt sander then bring it down closer with a file and finish it flat on a sanding board.

Any certain type of epoxy to glue the new on?

Is the stock filled with some type of soft foam?

The black stuff (hard rubber or plastic?) to be removed looks like 1/4 inch thick but not hard and might be used to hold screw inserts inside a foam filled stock. Removal by sanding might be slow & messy with lots of fine flying junk. A coarse wood rasp could be used to get most of it removed. Be careful not to damage any edges and finishing the job by hand sanding to get a nice flat surface. Inserts for screws would be needed for a foam filled stock but would need to be big enough, possibly 1/2 dowels, and well attached. If a good bond could not be made with the foam, the inserts would need to contact the inner stock shell surface. I like JB Weld.

I like T25 head, 1 1/4 inch, wood screws and they may be driven in without damaging the outer recoil pad surface and the T25 head is better than Phillips or slotted head for ease of driving.

I would try to avoid attaching the new pad to the stock with epoxy because you might want to remove it easily. I have installed pads, including preparing the stock end surface, using a large disc (10-12 inch diameter) sander. These are sort of pricy and would need lots of use to justify their cost.

Last edited:
Mine was black RTV silicone of some sorts not a epoxy. I removed it with a razor blade scraper. Put the new one on the same way.

I have a 12 inch carbide blade miter saw. Get it lined up right and off it comes leaving a perfect surface. I wrap the butt in tape just in case to keep from any chipping but never a problem. Screw the new pad on and scribe it and then grind to size on a belt sander. If screws are not an option use epoxy. To add. I set the saw with a 3 degree angle to make the toe undercut the top. The stock will fit better and stay on your shoulder better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.