recoil on a 12 pound 300wsm???

I have a .300 WSM that started life as a sporter weight. I shot everything from 150s to 220s through it and honestly, until you went prone, none of those were horrible. Once prone, I could shoot 15 to 20 of the 220s and done. Once I rebuilt it into a long range gun, I can shoot the 220s all day prone and be fine. Something I discovered by accident, if you the load 220 SMK the same length to the ogive as the MK 316 (~ 2.815 COAL), it gets pretty darn accurate. Get it up to 2850 or so with a 26" barrel and it is pretty boring at 500 yards. Also, something about that .300 WSM, the barrels don't burn out like most magnums. I had over 4000 rounds through my sporter barrel and while I had moved the throat forward over 60 thou, it wasn't cracked as bad as the smith was expecting. One very good match shooter also won a match with a .300 WSM that had well over 4000 rounds through it. Ok, I wandered a bit there.

I have a .300 WSM that started life as a sporter weight. I shot everything from 150s to 220s through it and honestly, until you went prone, none of those were horrible. Once prone, I could shoot 15 to 20 of the 220s and done. Once I rebuilt it into a long range gun, I can shoot the 220s all day prone and be fine. Something I discovered by accident, if you the load 220 SMK the same length to the ogive as the MK 316 (~ 2.815 COAL), it gets pretty darn accurate. Get it up to 2850 or so with a 26" barrel and it is pretty boring at 500 yards. Also, something about that .300 WSM, the barrels don't burn out like most magnums. I had over 4000 rounds through my sporter barrel and while I had moved the throat forward over 60 thou, it wasn't cracked as bad as the smith was expecting. One very good match shooter also won a match with a .300 WSM that had well over 4000 rounds through it. Ok, I wandered a bit there.

Dang, I have to wait that long to re-barrel mine! :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

How bad is the recoil of a 300 wsm if the combined weight of the rifle and scope are around twelve pounds? I have ran across a GREAT deal locally on one as I was looking for a 308 to play with on the bench this summer. The rifle is exactly what I am after only in 300wsm instead of 308. I really would rather not put a break on it as I will use it for hunting some as well. Just wondering what everyones thought are. It is a 1-10 twist, so I don't know what weight I will need to shoot so that i get proper stabilization, but I know the heavier the grain weight, the harder its going to kick. Thought?
If it has all the features, get it.

My 12lb 300WSM without brake has, per J E Custom ~21 flb shooting 208 Amaxs at ~2850, my 10.5lb 308 shooting 155 Nosler CC has ~15 flb. I can shoot both all day.

The way the recoil "feels" is very different. The 300WSM is a shove. The 308 is sharper.

those are both without brakes.

The 300WSM with 165 solids is much sharper but then so is the 300RUM Brake or not.

My 338Edge is sharper still with 285s going 2920fps and a bigger push with a very effective brake, even at over 16lb.

My recommendation is foam ear plugs with electronic ear muffs over. Even hunting. My issue is more noise related than the physical recoil. Though as I have said in other posts, 60+ rounds of magnums in say 3 hours, Weatherby, 26-Nosler variants and RUM variants, will still get some interesting responses from your brain.

Hunt how you practice. Practice how you hunt. It makes difference same as self defense training or all training for that matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.