recoil on a 12 pound 300wsm???

Elkwonder

How bad is the recoil of a 300 wsm if the combined weight of the rifle and scope are around twelve pounds? I have ran across a GREAT deal locally on one as I was looking for a 308 to play with on the bench this summer. The rifle is exactly what I am after only in 300wsm instead of 308. I really would rather not put a break on it as I will use it for hunting some as well. Just wondering what everyones thought are. It is a 1-10 twist, so I don't know what weight I will need to shoot so that i get proper stabilization, but I know the heavier the grain weight, the harder its going to kick. Thought?

How bad is the recoil of a 300 wsm if the combined weight of the rifle and scope are around twelve pounds? I have ran across a GREAT deal locally on one as I was looking for a 308 to play with on the bench this summer. The rifle is exactly what I am after only in 300wsm instead of 308. I really would rather not put a break on it as I will use it for hunting some as well. Just wondering what everyones thought are. It is a 1-10 twist, so I don't know what weight I will need to shoot so that i get proper stabilization, but I know the heavier the grain weight, the harder its going to kick. Thought?

A 12 lb 300 WSM will be very manageable without a brake. I used to fire 230s through a 8 lb WSM without a brake without issue. I have since put a brake on it so that I could spot my hits. 10 twist will work for anything up to 230 grain bullets. It's the standard twist rate for most of the bigger 300s.

It should be pretty moderate, I sighted in my buddy's 300win mag it weighs about 10-11. My grandpa's 300 weighs about 7lbs and in braked was not to enjoyable to shoot now my buddy rifle having a few extra lbs tamed it down to a moderate level. Comparable to a sporter weight 270win.

What grain are most guys running in the 300wsm? Obviously the 175 would kick less than the 210, but by how much? I will probably never shoot out past 1000 yards, so Im not quite sure how much the BC will come into affect at that distance. Thanks

Hey TXAoudadKlr, hows things in Houston? I live in Bismarck ND now, but am originally from Houston myself.

On my web site I have a recoil calculator under tools that will give you the answer with and without a brake. Just fill in the fields and calculate. I came up with 21.58 ft/lbs without and 8.12 ft/lbs with.

www.jecustom.com - Recoil Calculator

The .308 win will be somewhere around 14 to 15 ft/lbs in the same weight rifle without a brake and
6 to 8 ft/lbs with.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Recoil will be a non issue. You should be able to shoot all the way up to the 210's and 215's with a 10 twist, probably even the 230's. You can look on Berger's site for recommendations to be sure.

"Felt recoil sensitivity" varies for each shooter; the end user has to establish that. Shoot it and see. I'm not recoil sensitive but most of my rifles have muzzle brakes.

Seeing targets on impact is priceless.

would the 175 be considered too light, therefore not a good choice?

I've got a 300 WSM that I'm getting rebarrled for another cal. If I was keeping it as a 300 WSM I would load 215 Hybrids in it. That said, If the rifle your considering is a short action, you'll be seating longer bullets deeper into the case for a repeater. I would still go with the 215's. 175's will have a lot lower BC.

We are all different individuals, some can shoot an ultra mag with no issues and others can't. My father in laws brother was one of the most recoil shy individuals I knew and he was 6'4" and weighted close to 300 lbs. My first custom rifle was a 338 win that he had built but couldn't stand the recoil on. He shot it twice with a laceration both times.

I've taken many animals with that rifle over the years. When I first started shooting it, I weighed 185lbs.

Like many have said Recoil is subjective. To some like my coworker, the .308 out of an AR-10 is to much recoil for him. For others like myself it is not bad at all.

I had a 300WM in the first generation Sendero. It looks like what they call the long range now. Anyways with scope, rings, sling, bipod, and loaded the gun weighed in at 13lbs. Shooting 200gr SMK over a full charge of Reloader-22 the recoil wasn't that bad. The only time it bothered me was when in the prone shooting slightly up hill.
My friend turned me on to the P.A.S.T magnum shoulder pad that slips on like a jacket. I could use that while in the prone shooting and it protected my collar bone from the recoil. You could shoot 50-100 rounds a day with the shoulder pad on and not be to uncomfortable.

I think the heaviest felt recoiling rifle I have shot was my friends Model 70 featherweight in 30-06 with 220gr round nose bullets. I was 16 years old then. We were sighting in our rifles for deer season and he grabbed the wrong ammo. Rather than head all the way back home we decided to try them out. Man o man those left a bruise on our shoulders. Of course I have shot a lot heavier recoiling rifles since then but I won't ever forget that one.

Not to deviate from your question but if this is also going to be a bench gun shooting a lot of rounds...the 300wsm will burn it's barrel out much faster than the 308. If you will only be shooting occasionally...that is not an issue but if you will shoot often I'd definitely continue the search for a 308

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts