Recoil of a Kimber Montana in 338-06

Elkwonder

I have a 280AI that I was thinking about having re-barreled to 338-06? I was going to have them add a muzzle break and was wondering what the recoil would be like before wasting a bunch of money. Anybody have any idea of what the recoil would be like? This would be a dedicated Elk, moose and black bear gun. Im also wondering if it would be worth spending the money over just selling the 280AI and picking up a 30-06 instead. The 30-06 with 180-200 grain bullets would probably do all I need, and with less recoil......thoughts? Thanks

I don't shoot a 338-06. I do shoot a 300 winny with 220 grain Partitions. I'd guess a 338-06 with 225 grain bullets would be right around there, probably less recoil. And it's not bad at all.

There is no way I'd put a brake on a 338-06.

I'd also think about a 35 whelen. But I'm in love with my 280 ack.

Of course a 30-06 would do everything. You'd just not be nearly as cool. :cool:

It depends on how you hunt bear and elk? Longer ranges or in your face? Recoil can be tamed with a break. The 30-06 loaded with 220's can bounce a bit, but is quite effective in close.

hello, that was my case also.owned a rem.700KS(kevlar stock) in .280 rem.also had custom .270wsm.decided to makedeer,elk,bear,moose gun,bought .338-06(shjlen))barrel prefinished ,had gsmith modifystocks barrel channel&fit barrel,bedded.I choose 200gr.Nosler accubond ammo and get under 1"groups @100yrds.good deer &blackbear loads for northeast hunts.I felt its recoil is less than 30-06 w/200-220bullets.difinitly much less than my .300weatherby!but then my.375HH also less than .300mags!yes,.338-06 sure is a great load!when I built that gun weatherby,nosler and another mfg. made factory ammo.something about that caliber that fells great!hope to take it moose huntin soon!

I have a 280AI that I was thinking about having re-barreled to 338-06? I was going to have them add a muzzle break and was wondering what the recoil would be like before wasting a bunch of money. Anybody have any idea of what the recoil would be like? This would be a dedicated Elk, moose and black bear gun. Im also wondering if it would be worth spending the money over just selling the 280AI and picking up a 30-06 instead. The 30-06 with 180-200 grain bullets would probably do all I need, and with less recoil......thoughts? Thanks

It boils down to personal preference. Muzzle brakes are definitely not for everybody. I am not recoil sensitive but most of my hunting rifles sports muzzle brakes and suppressor. A well designed muzzle brake (and there's plenty of them around to choose from) not only reduces the felt recoil significantly but also reduces the muzzle rise/jump ... seeing targets on impact is priceless and allows transitioning to target re-acquisition easier should a follow up shot is required.

AZShooter provided you with an excellent link.

An average muzzle brake install is $100 + the cost of a muzzle brake.

Have you considered staying with .280AI since you're already set-up for it and re-barreling it with a faster twist, i.e., 1:8" (not sure if you're set-up is the factory barrel or what the twist rate is) and launch them 195 Bergers?

Good luck!

Ed

It boils down to personal preference. Muzzle brakes are definitely not for everybody.

Sure, I guess my issue with brakes is the potential for hearing damage. If your set-up on a ridge for a long range shot, you'll likely have plenty of time to put on hearing protection.

When I think of cartridges like the 338-06 I think of close in timber hunting, where shot decisions are quick, and you may not even have the opportunity to get your muffs/plugs on.

Probably just a pet peeve of mine :D My Rem 700 223 VTR (bolt gun) has a factory brake/thing. Even that thing is pretty loud, but that brake design is probably pretty poor compared to some of the options out there.

Sure, I guess my issue with brakes is the potential for hearing damage. If your set-up on a ridge for a long range shot, you'll likely have plenty of time to put on hearing protection.

When I think of cartridges like the 338-06 I think of close in timber hunting, where shot decisions are quick, and you may not even have the opportunity to get your muffs/plugs on.

Probably just a pet peeve of mine :D My Rem 700 223 VTR (bolt gun) has a factory brake/thing. Even that thing is pretty loud, but that brake design is probably pretty poor compared to some of the options out there.

Agreed! All muzzle brakes are load even the one called "quiet brake". I shot my magnums for a while before discovering the benefits of an effective muzzle brake in 2003; my very 1st one was Holland's QD muzzle brake on my .300 WM, felt recoil is similar to that of .243s.

Very pricey and quite a long waiting period (although it has gotten much better) but the suppressor is the way to go if it's legal in your state. There's also that added length and weigh to consider.

I shot a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and less than 6 pounds the recoil was surprising to say the least. More than my 300 win mag W/O brake. The Kimber montana in 30-06 has a muzzle diameter of .560. That's just to small for .338 diameter bullets if you're going to stick with that contour.

The 280 AI should be pretty sweet for all the game you mention as long as there not really large. Even if they are you'll be okay with good shot placement and everything I have read about the 280 AI says their accurate.

For .338 caliber I would want a contour with a muzzle diameter of .650 minimum. They will all shoot of course but .560 -.338 is looking like a pretty light and whippy firearm where .560 -.284 not so much.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

..........Very pricey and quite a long waiting period (although it has gotten much better) but the suppressor is the way to go if it's legal in your state. There's also that added length and weigh to consider.............

I haven't got one yet, but I've been around them enough to appreciate them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.