Recoil Lug

morgaj1

I am tinkering with a semi-custom Remington 700 build. I have an AG Composites stock and the recoil lug slot is 0.400", but the factory lug measures 0.200". After hunting season, I will send this gun to be rebarreled, action trued and stock glass bedded. However, I would like to use this rifle as-is for this season. Any harm in shooting it with the AG stock before bedding, given the extra space in the recoil lug?

The extra space is in front of the lug which is inconsequential. Most people tape the front/sides of the lug when bedding, so it isn't an issue. Getting an aftermarket lug ensures its precisely made and flat. Adding thickness... to a point... doesn't hurt anything. It would be interesting to see if:
adding a thin layer of clay to the backside of the lug
Putting the action in the stock
Torque the action/stock screws
Remove the action
Now see if the lug is making full contact.

My guess is there's space and it's not making full contact... which is not ideal for accuracy. But that might be a different conversation then your original question.

^^^
Spot on.
Shoot it. If accuracy is less than desirable, it's easy to bed the lug- even if you're not experienced in full pillar bedding jobs.
That should make a marked improvement- enough so to get you through to the build, where the smith can easily grind it out and do a full bedding job.

As long as the recoil lug is tight at the rear when the screws are torqued….all is good and the gap in front of it means nothing.
When you get the action trued, make sure you add a dual pinned tapered lug .250" or .300" thick as sold by PT&G.
This will make a world of difference to your rifle and how it sits in the stock.
Most factory stocks also have a gap in front of the recoil lug…it makes assembly/disassembly easier.

Cheers.

I assembled the rifle without bedding and shot it this past weekend. All loads were less than 1 MOA, with the best at 0.48 MOA. I am going the leave it as is. Eventually, I plan to recharger it to 30-06AI. I will get it bedded when I do that.