Recoil lug bedding

I'm guessing if he is asking about bedding then he is not building a Buchrest rifle, and. I guarantee he's not using a 1 in 10,000 fixture to do it in. For a first time bedding job he should stick to what he's is comfortable with trying. PPlus bedding alone will not give him single ole groups. Its a very minor par of a single hole rifle build.

I am a little late to the thread but say full action bedding is the way to go. I know a lot of good shooters who bed only the front recoil lug and tang area. it works for them. It is simple and requires much less masking-off; however, I am for a full action bedding job. if you are going to bed your rifle it is more masking but not much more work to bed the entire action. Especially on the V-block aluminum bedding blocks. I have several Sendero's and notice the mating of a round receiver and a v-block rarely results in a stress free platform.

It could be solved by a spot bedding of the action and tang, but since the stick is torn down for the spot bedding, a full bedding job isn't a lot more effort. Mask of every piece of the stock even where (in your wildest dreams) epoxy could never enter (because it will), wax up the receiver and have at it. It is a simple project that anyone with a little patience, care can do this at home.

One test I did to determine whether to go full or partial bed was to tighten the front actions screw down and then install and tighten the back one while watching if the muzzle moves. This will show how the action fits to the block. Once fully bedded with a stress free job, the muzzle will not move. Don't remember where I heard to do that but it's useful.

IMHO, if you bed just the lug in a vblock, you are only reinforcing the front portion of the action, which prevents the action from torquing into the stock like it was originally designed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.