Recoil & Bullet Weight

That's all fascinating but the OP's question is
" My question is, how much bullet weight would I have to drop to start noticing a reduction in recoil with the Edge?"

You can't answer the question unless you know what the velocity is. If velocity is a constant then a 20% reduction in the mass of the bullet will reduce "recoil" by 20%.

I know OP's question was how much bullet weight needs to change to perceive a decrease in recoil, and the formulas have been given to calculate recoil, but the real life fact is that some rifles just kick like a mule and others are more .... gentle. My hunting partner has a custom 300 WM which is accurate enough, but not that fun to shoot because of the sharp recoil. My son's 30 Nos shoots the same 215 gr berger 100+ fps faster and you could literally shoot it all day without even thinking about recoil. Both guns have good muzzle brakes and the 300 WM is about a pound heavier. There is just that unknown factor involving stock shape, fit and how its all put together which can't be plugged into any calculator - it just has to be experienced. So, the bad news is, it may not matter what weight the projectile is, with that particular rifle and that caliber, it may still kick like a Missouri mule.

That's all fascinating but the OP's question is
" My question is, how much bullet weight would I have to drop to start noticing a reduction in recoil with the Edge?"
Yeah, that is his question, but I'm not him and don't know what he'd notice.
So, he could reduce the velocity of his 300gr load, or go with a lighter load, say 250 or 225 grain. But, will he need to reduce the velocity on those too in order to reduce perceived recoil?
He could also embark on a program of sit ups, push ups, clappers, & back strengthening to increase his insensitivity to recoil so that what feels like mild recoil to him is Thor's hammer to someone else.
His question is focusing on one aspect of a subject that has many variables. A black-and-white answer is easy but may not serve him well. Life is gray. Sometimes looking outside the box provides a simpler solution.

The 3rd Reich guys felt the recoil of their M98's with steel butt plates & non-ergo stocks real bad & having been trained to shoot a 98 as my intro to center fire I can relate to what the 3rd Reich guys felt. I liked the stripper clips & controlled feed.

Another factor to consider to reduce recoil in addition to reduction of bullet weight is to also reduce the weight of the powder charge. Powder charge weight also must be considered in recoil reduction.

The math shown the link includes powder weight.
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

screenshot-236-png.298475

The math shows the kinetic energy difference 37.76 ft-lbs vs 34.46 ft-lbs with a 225 grain vs 200 gr bullet with only 25 fps vel difference - the extra 25 gr. bullet weight makes up the difference. Nice stocks & recoil pads on each rifle would increase shooting comfort.

The 3rd Reich guys felt the recoil of their M98's with steel butt plates & non-ergo stocks real bad & having been trained to shoot a 98 as my intro to center fire I can relate to what the 3rd Reich guys felt. I liked the stripper clips & controlled feed.

Another factor to consider to reduce recoil in addition to reduction of bullet weight is to also reduce the weight of the powder charge. Powder charge weight also must be considered in recoil reduction.

The math shown the link includes powder weight.
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GunRecoilFormulae.pdf

screenshot-236-png.298475

The math shows the kinetic energy difference 37.76 ft-lbs vs 34.46 ft-lbs with a 225 grain vs 200 gr bullet with only 25 fps vel difference - the extra 25 gr. bullet weight makes up the difference. Nice stocks & recoil pads on each rifle would increase shooting comfort.
Excellent analysis by Hugnot.

All other things being equal, a 29% reduction in bullet weight coupled with a 16% increase in muzzle velocity results in a 4% reduction in recoil. You won't notice the difference in the real world.

Yeah, that is his question, but I'm not him and don't know what he'd notice.
So, he could reduce the velocity of his 300gr load, or go with a lighter load, say 250 or 225 grain. But, will he need to reduce the velocity on those too in order to reduce perceived recoil?
He could also embark on a program of sit ups, push ups, clappers, & back strengthening to increase his insensitivity to recoil so that what feels like mild recoil to him is Thor's hammer to someone else.
His question is focusing on one aspect of a subject that has many variables. A black-and-white answer is easy but may not serve him well. Life is gray. Sometimes looking outside the box provides a simpler solution.
Your right, it was a simple question that was answered, So I'll ask you and with no offense intended but do you do this on purpose to make yourself feel better ? or do you intentionally try to derail threads as here we are with a workout suggestion, Maybe next you should suggest he start using a spear ? That would solve the problem wouldn't it ? What's your thoughts on that? And what do you prefer on your steak ? I mean if you use too much salt on your steak it could lead to high blood pressure which could possibly slow him down on the push up's and clappers which would in turn weaken his back to the point that everything feels like Thor's Hammer and what about the side effects of the high blood pressure medicine ? you'll need to take that in account as well as his overall daily carb intake, another variable could be he is not wearing the proper size shoe, if his shoe's are to big his gait will be hindered and his aproach to whatever shooting position will be uncomfertable and that could effect felt recoil as well, Oh and I forgot about his shirts as material choice plays a big factor ........................ Life is gray

Your right, it was a simple question that was answered, So I'll ask you and with no offense intended but do you do this on purpose to make yourself feel better ? or do you intentionally try to derail threads as here we are with a workout suggestion, Maybe next you should suggest he start using a spear ? That would solve the problem wouldn't it ? What's your thoughts on that? And what do you prefer on your steak ? I mean if you use too much salt on your steak it could lead to high blood pressure which could possibly slow him down on the push up's and clappers which would in turn weaken his back to the point that everything feels like Thor's Hammer and what about the side effects of the high blood pressure medicine ? you'll need to take that in account as well as his overall daily carb intake, another variable could be he is not wearing the proper size shoe, if his shoe's are to big his gait will be hindered and his aproach to whatever shooting position will be uncomfertable and that could effect felt recoil as well, Oh and I forgot about his shirts as material choice plays a big factor ........................ Life is gray
Dude, lighten up. Talk about thread derailing....

I'm shooting a 338 Edge with a 300 grn Berger. I also shoot a 300 RUM. Both rifles are similar in build and weight including having the same brakes. I'm shooting 199 grn Hammer Hunters in the RUM. The difference in recoil is night and day between the two.

My question is, how much bullet weight would I have to drop to start noticing a reduction in recoil with the Edge?
I will say this..a 30-30 shoiting a 125 grain barely bumps me..stick in a 180 or 200 grain and it kicks like a mule.
So yes the increased weight of a bullet make a lot of difference in increased recoil. The weight of a heavier rifle greatly reduces the recoil.Hope this helps

in my 338 RUM, I can definitely tell the difference between a 210 gr bullet at 3300 vs 260 gr bullet at 3050. Though the light and fast is more of a "snappy" recoil. I haven't shot my 300 gr ATIPs yet.

My 300 grain Berger's have an ave velocity of 2790 FPS. I'm looking at load data on Carlock's site and he's got a 250 grn Berger at 2913 FPS.

"My 300 grain Berger's have an ave velocity of 2790 FPS. I'm looking at load data on Carlock's site and he's got a 250 grn Berger at 2913 FPS."

Screenshot (238).png

.50 BMG data from Hodgdon. I need some references for the powder gas velocity. The .50 BMG has horrible recoil & blast & expense.

Last edited: