Recoil absorption HS versus GHP

Kiwi Nate

Hi guys, just wanting some input towards a new build. Would like to hear from anyone 6ft tall who has used the McMillan M40 A1 general purpose hunting stock side by side with the HS Precision (sendero) stock- on a high recoiling magnum. The factors I am interested in are straight recoil (rather than the horrendous upward recoil I get from one of my monte carlo stocks), strength of the stock in general for climbing in slippery steep country/ are either prone to split at the forened or behind the pistol grip (probably both strong but why not ask?) and also, visual alignment to the scope if using a 50mm Obj- without having the aid of an adjustable cheek piece. Bedding is less relevant as I will do this myself if necessary. The build needs to be abidextrous so the rifle can be used by clients as I operate LR tutorial hunting trips.

I have used the HS/Sendero and found it comfortable to use in .300 Win mag, recoil was mild, able to get back on target quick. The fore end is definitely bulky but some love handles up front will be useful.

The M700 build will feature a long fat barrel and be used to shoot out past 1000 yards. Its been over 10 years since I handled the McMillan GPH- I can't remember how it felt to shoot.

Cheers, Nathan.

Nate,
can't give you any insite on the McMillan, just posting to let you know that I need to run an adj cheek piece or eagle pack with a 50mm scope, but don't find it to be any trouble at all. I love the HS stock and can usually be found for sale for around $200.00. Cant beat the price. As far as recoil, had one on a 13 1/2# 338 EDGE, and could shoot it all day long.

Thanks, much appreciated. The $200 figure, is that second hand on ebay? Thanks for the eagle pack advice- I would love to have a pouch like this as opposed to an adj cheek piece, good to have things handy in the pouch. I did not know who made these pouches until you gave me a brand name I could google- very happy now.

Last edited:
Nate

I think you are on the right track with the sendero style stock.(Strait comb,classic style, left or
right handed,better suited for prone style shooting and a high enough comb that a check piece
is not required though it may help.

I like the laminated versions because of dampening and balance over the composites.

Another option would be to have Joel Russo make you a stock that fits your needs
perfectly.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts