recoil...30 cals

All you need to do is buy some gun that is in the 5000+ foot pounds of energy class without a brake and then all your .300's will seem like a plinking gun.

All I can take is about 20 shots of 400-500 grain bullets out of .458 win mag. But then when I pick up my little guns I don't even flinch.

My buddy just had to buy a 30-378 when they first came out. 26 inch bull barrel Weatherby. When he started pouring 110-120 grains of powder to it, it was really a fire breather. This was going to be his smaller game Safari gun and when he got back he was going to install some kind of 28 inch barrel and work on his long range hunting skills. He had seen the Mule deer of the lifetime once here in Nevada and it was just too far away to shoot at reliably with the equipment he had. It would have been a 1000 yard shot. So he just watched it wonder off in the spotting scope. I pounded out about 4-5 BR shots with 200 gr. and it needed a cool down period. He ask me what I thought?

Any way my true opinion on any of the Ultra mag weapons is get a good stock with very little drop. That way the recoil is straight back and not climbing to cause scope rings on your eye brough. Heavy barrels absorb the recoil and heat. I don't like brakes because of the additional rear or 90 degree noise. Sometimes you don't have the time to put on the ear muffs. I told him my BR shooting vest has built in padding, that and correct gun placement is all you need. I had him shoot my .458 BR quite a few times and he said that it did infact get him over any flinching with a small 30-378

He went on his Safari without a brake and took my .458 with max loaded 500 grain Barnes bullets. He one shot the present African Big Five

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like brakes because of the additional rear or 90 degree noise. Sometimes you don't have the time to put on the ear muffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

During long range hunting when animals present a shot generally you have enough time to insert ear protection and should anyway at all times (but we all konw that isnt always the case). The only time I dont use hearing protection is when I am hunting woods where timelyness of shots is key and animals normally arent sticking around so hearing is needed for assertation of animals whereas when hunting long range seeing is key rather than hearing. If your viewing animals through spotter scopes then you have ample enough time to put on hearing or ear plugs.
Animals in the open 500 yards away will allow you to do a lot of things you normally couldnt do when hunting wooded areas where 200 yards or less is between you and the inetended prey.
You should also condition yourself to ignore the flinching and concentrate on trigger control and breathing, this I find takes my mind off any possible flinching I may or may not be worried about.
The sporter weight 300 wby I shot was a sever shoulder slammer but I managed a 1.5 in group with three shots. I did not wish to or want to do more load testing for smaller groups as this was his walking gun and used for stalking in wooded areas so 1.5 is very acceptable. Needless to say I will not shoot that rifle anymore without some sort of gun vise testing system where recoil can be controlled a bit more by mechanical means rather than my shoulder.

I only have one rifle. 300rum. First rifle I've owned. Couple of shots here and there with a lot of other calibers. Weight and stock design are critical. I had a brake put on mine for working up loads and it sits there until a hunt and it comes off. No change in impact. Just a little button to cover the threads. I also put on the limbsaver recoil pad grind to fit. It works well too.

all this talk about the RUMs is getting me excited.

I think Ive decided on the .338RUM, and shortly after getting the JP recoil eliminator put on, I'll be good to go.

I have an obsession with thick/heavy barrels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My VLS might get neglected for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.