Recipes??

I have done this with venison and caribou. Cut meat into small thin strips. Coat in taco seasoning. Heat cast iron skillet and add oil. When its hot enough to pop and sizzle, put a small hand full of meat in the skillet and sear for a couple of minutes. Remove the meat and repeat. Don't dump a bunch of meat in the skillet at once. It will still be good, just not nearly as good. Serve on heated corn tortillas with diced onion, a pinch of cilantro, and a dash of tomatillo salsa. Meat also goes well in burritos, fajitas, tostadas, and taquitos. The biggest issue that I have is eating all of the meat before assembling.

Pheasant and Duck Recipes

I'd be interested in seeing some pheasant or duck recipes while we're at it. Even though this should be posted in the Shotgun.com website.
I am not a big fan of wild ducks mainly because it takes allot work to make them really taste good. Its real easy to make them taste so awful the dog won't touch them. I don't like the flavor of liver or any other guts so I might be a bit pickier than others.

Last time I cooked ducks, I went cajun. I used the breasts to make grillades and grits and used the carcusses to make suasage and duck gumbo. You can google and find good recipes for both.

Another recipe I did with ducks was a shepards pie. I picked all of the meat off of the carcasses, chopped it up into pretty small pieces, and marinated in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. I found a shepards pie recipe on line and substituted the marinated duck meat for the ground meat in the recipe. To make it even more different, I used cut up snow peas instead of english peas.

Fried deer, antelope or elk steak (works with chicken and beef as well). Clean up the connective tissue and silver skin. You're making "cutlets".

Ingredients:

1. Protein 2lbs or so. Tenderize if needed. Cuts should be 1/2" or less.
2. 3-4 eggs in a ziploc bag (gallon size).
3. Italian bread crumbs (we use Progresso). About 1/2 the can in another ziploc bag (gallon size).
4. Enough olive oil to cook meat. Heat to medium or medium high.

Add meat to ziploc with eggs and shake like mad. Make sure all the meat is coated liberally then place the mix into the ziploc with the Italian bread crumbs. Shake again.

Place the meat in the pan with the preheated oil. Cook to your liking. 3-4 minutes on each side.

Serve with some good Mexican rice and beans. Add some pico de gallo or your favorite hot sauce.

If you happen to have left overs (you won't) chill in the fridge then make yourself a sang-guich with mayo, lettuce, tomato and some sweet ungyuns.

So good!

Elkonator jr. full Elkonator is three patties. Having Elk parmigiana today

Attachments

• 327F206A-C2B8-46F6-A9C5-E077B7E3085A.jpeg
    327F206A-C2B8-46F6-A9C5-E077B7E3085A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
We eat ALOT of venison at my house. One I haven't seen mentioned is we take 1lb of straight ground deer with no fat. Add a little olive oil to skillet and brown it with a package of chirizo sausage and add taco seasoning to make tacos with. The chirizo is a game changer.

For ducks and geese.
Cut breast into 1" cubes, season with salt pepper and garlic. Sear in skillet (med- med rare) with a little olive oil on high heat and remove. Add rendered duck fat and Brown a chopped onion in the skillet until soft and add fresh garlic. Reduce heat and melt a spoon of butter, add a spoon of beef paste and mix it with the butter well. Cut it with heavy cream and add duck breast back to it.
Sorry I don't have any specifics on how much of what to use I just do it by sight.

I was in an AR duck camp several years ago and an older gentleman fixed this and there were at least 20 duck killers there that were all very impressed to say the least. It's been a favorite of mine since.