Recipes??

cdmorten

I think we need to get input on everyone's favorite game recipes since this is the season of fresh game in the freezer. After all, shooting them is only half of the fun.

I'm a huge fan of venison, especially here in Nebraska where the deer are corn fed. Normally I like to grill the steak on the grill at about 350. I typically pour Worchestire sauce on each side and cook them for about 4-6 minutes per side, (depending on how thick they are), with the grill lid down. That should cook them until they're pink in the middle. Salt them last. If you salt them when you first put them on the grill it draws the juices out.

Now, a second recipe that my wife figured out last weekend was to marinate the steaks in a Mesquite sauce, (buy the dry pack mix at the store). We left them in it for 2 hours. I cooked the steaks as described above and I seriously couldn't believe how good they were. It was like a bacon wrapped filet. Unbelievable.

Let's hear your favorite recipes.

Just had BBQ elk roast tonight. Works great with deer also.
Marinate rump roast in beer and onions overnight.
In morning drain out beer and add lots of BBQ sauce
Put in crok pot or roaster oven on low for 10-12 hours.

Also a very easy recipe
Brown round steak for a short time on very high heat in oil
Put in roaster, add onions, salt and peper, and pizza sause, add a little water if necessary
Cook on medium in roaster or crok pot, for about 3-4 hours

Deer breakfast sausage:
Grind up 10 lb deer using the grind plate with large holes.
Grind 4 lbs fatty bacon (the fatter, the better)
take a large bowl/tub/baking pan and lay down a 1-2 inch layer of ground deer, cover with ground sage, garlic powder, salt, pepper, fennel seed. Layer on some bacon, then layer on deer again, repeat seasoning/layering until out of meat. Now stick in your hands (washed, of course or in gloves) and mix up the meat and seasoning. Run through meat grinder again, using the fine grind plate.

Steaks - throw plain ol deer steaks on grill, cook rare to medium rare, season with salt, garlic powder, pepper.

Pheasant and Duck Recipes

I'd be interested in seeing some pheasant or duck recipes while we're at it. Even though this should be posted in the Shotgun.com website.

Re: Pheasant and Duck Recipes

Corbett,

The best pheasant I've ever had was done by a packing plant in a little town in South Dakota. We'd clean our birds all week until the last day, then we'd drop them all off at the plant. They'd fix 'em up, then UPS to Illinois in dry ice. Their method was to inject them like a turkey, then ham cure 'em, & smoke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For whole ducks, I rub them down with lemon pepper, then fill the body cavity with sliced apples & oranges. Wrap that in bacon, aluminum foil, then toss 'em on the grill. Rotate about every 15 minutes for 45 total, depending on the size of the quacker.

For breasted-out ducks, marinate in Coke for four hours in the fridge (gets out all the gamey taste). Rub with black pepper, seasoned salt, & garlic pepper, & wrap with bacon & tin foil. Grill for @ 15-20 minutes total (rotate at least once), slice, & eat with crackers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is one of my favortites for deer steaks or tenderloin.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Dale's steak marinade
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning (spicy)
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

Combine all ingredients in a 1 gallon zip lock bag shake well. Marinate 6 to 8 hours. Preferable 24 hours (much better)Turn bag to mix every couple hours. Set up carcoal grill for direct high heat grilling. Throw on a few mesquite wood chips (I use a hand full) Grill steaks 3 minutes a side for med. rare with the grill covered for smoke retention. Serve with grilled corn and green beans.If using a thick back strap when cooking time will be longer wrap in bacon.

My favorite deer recipe is:

Slice ham or backstrap about 1/4" thick

Mix flour, garlic, Emeril Essance in a ziplock bag

Shake meat in bag.

Heat layer of oil in skillet.

Fry deer meat on one side until blood shows, flip and fry 2 more minutes.

Very good stuff!!!

Jim

I like to take a whole backstrap and using a fillet knife I slice into it long ways about 3/8" deep and keep rotating it without ever cutting through it until I have a large flat piece of meat about 1 to 1/2 foot square.
Then in a fry pan sautee onion bacon(pre-cooked and crumbled) and Portabella mushroom slices in the bacon grease. When the onions turn translucent remove from heat and drain,let cool and spread the mixture all over the layed out strap. Roll the whole thing up like a jelly roll,tie it off with butchers twine,wrap in foil and throw it on the grill(charcoal is best).When it reaches medium rare take the foil off and let her smoke until desired doneness.Medium is awesome with this one. Pull this off and you've got alot of impressed guests . Slice across into 1" thick portions and it looks awesome on a plate whith the jelly roll effect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We a lot of venison in our household. Even the wife and kids prefer Venison over beef or chicken.

Take 6-8 cloves of garlic wi th a cup of oil (olive, corn, vegetAble, etc.) Place in blender, an run blender on high, until the oil and garlic is very well blended. Pour the oil mixture over venison steaks, refrigerate at least an 1 hour. Preheat oven on broil, Get a cast iron skillet real hot, on the stove top. Sprinkle salt and pepper on steaks, dropnsteaks on the skillet, about 30 seconds per side, to get a sear and color. Throw skillet in oven on the highest rack for about 3 minutes. Take steaks out, let rest and serve.

Good info!

I would like to get a recipe conversation going! We all have tidbits. For me, it was marinate in Italian dressing and fry. Still a good go to, but I am more adventurous now.

I prefer my game light seasoning or none and medium to medium rare. My freezer is usually venison, but an occasional elk graces it's presence!

This was my most exotic trial. Sheep oysters.

Attachments

• 1D908ECD-D05D-4400-8022-A4E8869AB9F5.jpeg
    1D908ECD-D05D-4400-8022-A4E8869AB9F5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Smoking backstrap with your favorite seasoning to about 125/28 F. I also did venison ribs last year and was blown away with a smoke/boil/smoke recipe... I'll never leave another rack for the birds again.

All I do is use a olive oil spray to help keep them from sticking and it also helps crisp or sear the outside. With venison or elk I run my heat pretty high and get them off before they have a chance to dry out. Running a low heat and longer cook time dries them out quick.