Recipes for .300 RUM and H4831

MWecker

With the limitations around all reloading components like bullets, primers and powders, I put myself in a tough spot with my .300 RUM. I have 220 gr. Sierra MatchKings and 230 gr. Berger Hybrids, which I can get extra stock online. I'm left with VERY little Retumbo, no H1000 or any RLs. I know these powders are ideal for pumping these heavier bullets accurately, but I'm screwed there.

So the question being, does anyone out there have recipes with H4831 and the 220-230 gr. bullets that work with .300 RUM? I'm too hesitant about making my own starting concoction without wasting time and my limited resources on hand.

What I have on hand:
Factory Remington 700, 26" barrel.
Once fired brass.
CCI 250 primers.
1.5 lbs of H4831
220-230 gr. pills

***Something of note, I have not yet shot this rifle. Just traded my .300 WM with good compensation for this .300 RUM. I'm using this rifle for long range hunting/target shooting. More likely target fun.

1614088822542.png

Hodgdon doesn't even list it as a powder choice for that heavy of bullet. I believe it's to fast for those heavy bullets. You could back down to 200gr bullet and than use it, but it's still not optimal for the RUM.

Some of the really really slow powders are still around that may work for the heavies in a RUM. Like 50 BMG powders.

I wouldn't use it, you can expect very poor performance and pressure excursions if less than a case full of that powder.
We tried it in a 7RUM when there was no load data...very bad juju ensued.
We were trying to duplicate Remingtons middle loading factory ammo, very bad idea.
We had sooted and dented cases, even with H1000. The dents and hang fires seemed to go hand in hand.

Cheers.

I would look into the 155 lapua scenar. There is a large fan club of that bullet in the target world and the some hunters swear by it. I just bought some for a .308 but haven't played yet. With a b.c. of .500 can you imagine the ballistics when they start out over 3200fps? I bet you could find h4831 load data some where.

And save your 230s for 2024 when retumbo is back.

I don't know what reloader manual people are running but H4831(SC included) is a viable option according to Nosler for both the 300 RUM and 7 RUM. If you want to go with the naysayer's advice, let me know and I'll buy the powder to fuel my RUM's.

Hodgdons shows only 2950 for a 200 grain bullet at max charge.

a 150 grainer @ 94 grain MAX load 3408. And 32xx at start load.

I wouldn't use it on the heavys. But on the light bullets I think you would have something. A high bc lite bullet would be a flat shooter. The attached chart is 155 @ 3300. 1000 yards =20 moa

2cents

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223-230522_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-230522_Strelok Pro.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 98
Should work just fine, I would seat that bullet as deep as possible to get as close to max case fill as you can, but at 91% it won't be an issue

plugged it into Quick Load and this is what it spit out

300 RUM 220 SMK Hodgdon H4831.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the fill ratio of that powder...84% with a max load of only 81.5gr in a case that holds over 100gr.
I'm telling you that powder is bad juju.
Also, it lists 4831, not the sc version.
Having worked at ADI, I know the two are different, the fill ratio with the sc version will be even LESS.
Anyway, each to their own.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.