Rechambering a Wby. Ultra Light

Mountainsheep

I'm considering the purchase of a Weatherby Ultra light in .243. For my own personal taste, I would like to have the rifle accurized, barrel free floated and rechambered for 6mm Rem. A/I. Is this a difficult project and are there any severe issues or drawbacks to my thoughts? Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

In the world of ordinary and normal people, many good ideas fail because they are not ordinary and normal. One of those which seems to be sinking is the 240Wby. You can no longer get it in a 26 inch factory barrel so all of the extra powder capacity just goes to waste in the shorter barrels. Secondly, one needs to be a reloader to enjoy the benefits of the case and to be able to afford to shoot it.

As far as buying a Wby to send to a gunsmith to accurize, you might want to find a gunsmith who will do that work for you and ask him what he believes the results will be. Not every gunsmith will be willing to undertake it and not every one who does will be good at it.

Wby

To date I've sent three Wbys among other rifles to Hill Country Rifle in TX for accurizing. All three came back shooting sub moa with factory ammo. Cost about $400.00 and around a four month wait. If they don't make the gun shoot sub moa cost is about half.
Two of the rifles I set up for customers. One was a 340 Wby syn with a SS barrel and it shot just awesome. The other an Accumark in 30/06 and man this gun would shoot. The 06 was kinda neat, it will shoot that first shot from a clean barrel into the same group as the rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.