Rechambering a .260rem to 6.5-284norma

I just went through the same dilemma with wanting to re chamber a tikka to 6.5x284. I really couldn't get any good answers or find data on velocity in a 22.5 inch barrel so I went with a savage 116 with a 24 inch barrel.

I will tell you that with 57.5 grains of Retumbo the velocity is 2925, Berger lists a max load of 58 grains but I haven't tried pushing it further since I'm happy with that velocity.

I won't lie though I wish I had the Tikka, the savage weighs over 7 lbs stripped. I say give the tikka a try in 6.5x284 you will definitely out perform the 260.

Oh and please post your results if you go that route!

I've pretty well decided to just go with a tikka in 270win since they don't offer 280rem. My other thought was having a 7mm-08 rechambered to 280ai or 280rem, but I think the 270win will fit the bill just fine.

Can't go wrong with a .270! For a flat shooting load, work up some loads with the Barnes 110 TTSX ! Good luck to you!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.