Rechambering 7mm Rem Mag

Someone already spoke to it, but I love my .264 win mag. For many years it served as my primary hunting rifle, from Virginia Deer, to Colorado elk. Its an all around great cartridge with manageable recoil. Flat trajectory, and fast moving, shot placement is always key. Some will say the bullet is too small for elk, doesnt carry enough weight, blah, blah. None of that is true with correct shot placement. Elk, caribou, deer...Ive taken them all. Some run, some dont, but thats true with any caliber.
The flood of available 6.5 projectiles has opened the .264 market from the old standards of 100 grain or 140 grain bullets (for those who remember back that far!).
Give it some consideration, you wont be disappointed.

My builder would rather not deal with opening feed ramps and messing with the overall length of the mag box.

Thank you.
If your 'gunsmith' doesn't want to deal with things like that (feeding and magazine modifications) you'd best stick with a case similar to the 7 Mag. The 30/338 and 308 Norma mag are basically the 7 mag case necked up. You might get away with the 7mm Weatherby Mag if you have enough existing magazine length. With a slight set back of your existing barrel the 7mm Weatherby might be an option, considering magazine length, of course. Dies and brass might be a problem at this time, though.

Looking for opinions and caliber options to rechamber and re-barrel my Sako AV 7mm Rem Mag.
My hunting is in mainly in Northern MN for medium sized game but I am traveling to the west for elk and larger game to the north (moose, bear etc.). I have other 7 mags, 7STW and would like something different. The gun is a barreled action now and can work from there, the barrel is by no means shot out and is Magna-ported. 7mm Rem Mag is a great caliber and I do not dispute that, just looking to get a nice custom built on a SAAMI cartridge. 30 caliber and under a plus to accommodate my current suppressors.
My builder would rather not deal with opening feed ramps and messing with the overall length of the mag box.

Thank you.
Good day

things to consider

mag length and optimum use of calibers With your existing magazine length.
if you have plenty of mag length you could go up in caliber. : aka 30 caliber etc but recoil will increase.
second I'd seriously take into account making sure you can get brass for certain new calibers. Like hens teeth on certain calibers.
7mm and 300 wm brass will be easier to find than a lot of other cartridges.

last
shooting a gun with a .532 bolt face it's hard to beat a 7mm and a 300wm for hunting.

with that if I chose between any and parts were not an issue I like the .30 calibers.
good luck.

Someone already spoke to it, but I love my .264 win mag. For many years it served as my primary hunting rifle, from Virginia Deer, to Colorado elk. Its an all around great cartridge with manageable recoil. Flat trajectory, and fast moving, shot placement is always key. Some will say the bullet is too small for elk, doesnt carry enough weight, blah, blah. None of that is true with correct shot placement. Elk, caribou, deer...Ive taken them all. Some run, some dont, but thats true with any caliber.
The flood of available 6.5 projectiles has opened the .264 market from the old standards of 100 grain or 140 grain bullets (for those who remember back that far!).
Give it some consideration, you wont be disappointed.
So true about shot placement and type and weight of bullet. My wife has killed a few elk with a 243 win with 100gr Nosler Partition it to 300 yards here in northwest Colorado with one shot. But on the other hand I've shot them with a 7mmRUM 160gr Nosler Accubond twice through both front shoulders and they don't fall????

If your 'gunsmith' doesn't want to deal with things like that (feeding and magazine modifications) you'd best stick with a case similar to the 7 Mag. The 30/338 and 308 Norma mag are basically the 7 mag case necked up. You might get away with the 7mm Weatherby Mag if you have enough existing magazine length. With a slight set back of your existing barrel the 7mm Weatherby might be an option, considering magazine length, of course. Dies and brass might be a problem at this time, though.
Thank you for the feedback, gun builder that I use will do the feed ramp work and open mags up as needed. He just does not like to and would rather use the proper caliber (size) for the application if possible, he is the first to admit that he is a builder not a gunsmith. I was just there and he was opening and dealing with feed issues on a 6.5 SAUM From another builder that would not feed properly.
I am starting to see the trend here and for most of us the decision is made on what is available for ammo components now a days. For now we discussed, looked at components that are on the rifle and figured with a lot of other complete rifles already. I will run the 7mm Rem Mag until it will not shoot and re-barrel at that time. I am liking the looks of either a 308 Norma mag or the 30/338.

Just for size reference,here is a 300 Win Mag,(308 Norma Mag or 30-338 Win Mag) and a 300WSM.You can see the 308 Norma Mag or 30-338 Win Mag can give you a bit more mag box room over the 300 Win Mag.If a person wanted to shoot really long high B.C. bullets matched with the proper twist rate barrel,I could see where this could be a really good long range round.Necking up 7mag brass or necking down 338 Win Mag brass is very easy
308 Norma,300 Win Mag,300WSM.jpg

Take a look at the 270 Wby with an 8 twist. If you are fine with 600 yards and in leave it as a 10 twist. With a 140 Accubond or partition or 130 TTSX or Scirocco it is an amazing round that is easy to shoot, very easy to load for and has pretty good versatility. 110TTSX at 3800FPS or a 160 Partition at 3100 it can be a laser or a mauler. It is also pretty impressive with the Berger Hybrids or 145ELDX. The Weatherby/Norma brass is also great and it has a nice long neck. I try to convince myself otherwise, but it is my favorite all around hunting chambering.

NorthMN---looks like you're pretty flush with Big 7's, I'd have you consider going 33 or some kind. 338 WM would be easiest, but if the action was long enough then the .340 Wby is a great one. Course if the action will fit the 340 then one could just take a bigger jump and go straight to the 375 H&H.

Just a thought