Rechambering 7mm Rem Mag

That will be a great discussion with my builder if the 308 Norma Mag would be a build he would enjoy too. I will do my homework on the loadIn, thank you.
New books don't have 308 Norma data but old books do plus lots of info on the web. I have old books that I could take pics and send to you

New books don't have 308 Norma data but old books do plus lots of info on the web. I have old books that I could take pics and send to you
The Lee Manual has a lot of load data for it.Their manual is copy and paste from other manuals and it has the loads listed from the fastest to the slowest.If you don't have one you should get one.I use this manual more than any of my other manuals.

The Lee Manual second edition has 308 Norma Mag loads on pages 462-464. You should be able to find a copy reasonable easy.

Last edited:
Looking for opinions and caliber options to rechamber and re-barrel my Sako AV 7mm Rem Mag.
My hunting is in mainly in Northern MN for medium sized game but I am traveling to the west for elk and larger game to the north (moose, bear etc.). I have other 7 mags, 7STW and would like something different. The gun is a barreled action now and can work from there, the barrel is by no means shot out and is Magna-ported. 7mm Rem Mag is a great caliber and I do not dispute that, just looking to get a nice custom built on a SAAMI cartridge. 30 caliber and under a plus to accommodate my current suppressors.
My builder would rather not deal with opening feed ramps and messing with the overall length of the mag box.

Thank you.
"I" hate wasting a good barrel, esp. when there's still plenty of barrel life. "IIWY," I'd cut (16-18") and thread the barrel (~$150) and have fun with it under it is due for a re-barrel ... but that's just me.

I still have a 30-338 win its really good with H-4831sc, RL-23 with 180 class bullets with 165s Hybrid 100v has been a great performer like stated earlier the 308 norma and 30-338 are pretty much twins

280AI might be a good chambering for you. Last year I had a R700 7RM converted to this. Switched out to 308 bolt face. Feeds great. You can push 140 class bullets fast. It has low recoil, not powder hungry and you might have 7mm bullets to play with. Hammer Hunters in 143, or Absolute Hammers for lightning strikes.

I have a couple of STW's, and a couple of 280 AI . Both are awesome chamberings. The 280 is easy to load for with a little less recoil than the STW
Thanks, I have a new Rem 700 action to put a 280AI together for me already. One of those things that as the builder gets time he will start the build. All the parts are there and from what I see it should be a good shooter.

I rechambered a Weatherby MKV ultralight from 7MM Wby to a 7-300 Weatherby, I had a chamber reamer made to my dimensions around a 150 TTSX. I tried all the conventional powders, all showed signs of pressure and not much above 3200 to 3300 FPS, tried Magnum, 84 grains yielded 3390 FPS no signs of pressure, never pushed it to the max. I shot an Elk with this combination the bullet left a 3" exit wound, Elk went less than 50 yards, off hand shot at about 130 yards. I feel the twin to this cartridge is the 7MM STW but if you want to be different in hunt camp you won't find another 7-300 WBY.

Looking for opinions and caliber options to rechamber and re-barrel my Sako AV 7mm Rem Mag.
My hunting is in mainly in Northern MN for medium sized game but I am traveling to the west for elk and larger game to the north (moose, bear etc.). I have other 7 mags, 7STW and would like something different. The gun is a barreled action now and can work from there, the barrel is by no means shot out and is Magna-ported. 7mm Rem Mag is a great caliber and I do not dispute that, just looking to get a nice custom built on a SAAMI cartridge. 30 caliber and under a plus to accommodate my current suppressors.
My builder would rather not deal with opening feed ramps and messing with the overall length of the mag box.

Thank you.
Re-barreled my R700 SPS DM originally chambered in 7mm RM with a Bartlein Stainless in .300 WM and added a few other items... Since the photo I replaced the bipod with Atlas and now have a NF SHV on it. Absolutely lovin it! Accurate Ordnance 300 Win Mag (2).jpg

You could re-chamber that 7RM to 7-300WM, known as the 7 Practical.
This uses 300WM brass run through the die with no other changes.
I thought about this, but went with the STW due to it fitting in my rifles with a 3.7" mag length.
Food for thought.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.