rechamber

O

old fart

gents - take a stock heavy barreled 260 rem ,can it be rechambered to a 6.5/284, would it be practical ,would it be better . maybe a new stock , add a break , thanks

M

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
I belive that it could be recambered to 6.5-284. For me it wouldnt be practical as I think I would get more barrel life out of the 260. The other would be faster though. I also am not sure what your goals are either. It would help to know more about your rifle and also more about what you want out of the rifle.

C

chris matthews

It's definitely doable, however you will be kinda limited to the 140 MK or lighter bullets being in a short action.

M

milanuk

Ahhhh... most of the 'good' bullets in 6.5mm are pretty close to 140gr, plus or minus a very small amount: 139gr Lapua, 141gr Cauterrucio VLD, 140gr JLK VLD, 142gr SMK. The longer stuff like 155gr+ aren't good for much as far as long range is concerned.

As far as 6.5-08 vs 6.5-284 in a factory gun, I guess the thought in my mind is are you going to actually realize enough velocity difference in that length of barrel? The 6.5-284 generally does a little better w/ more room to stretch it's legs, so to speak.

HTH,

Monte

O

old fart

gents - I ran across a remington long action , with a long magazine , in a pawn shop. the barrel has been replaced , med weight, about 26", triggers been replaced , the bore is real bad, full of copper , the throat is worn , but the thing looks like it might clean up - the wood is stock no damage , but looks like they had a bi -pod.
the new barrel doesn't bind in the stock and looks good - even - and can slide a dollar to the action . the barrel is marked 260 REM - 9 , hand stamped- thought it might clean up with a 6.5/284 with out loosing length. find a replacement follower for inside the mag and I would have something to practice with , besides my 308's and another mid range rodent to deer gun with low recoil - thanks

O

old fart

you guys have me out in the pawn shops again looking for deals - things to build - never know what you might find - thanks - I needed this .

C

chris matthews

If it's a long action, then I woud say go for it. Using a reamer throated for the longer, not heavier, 142 MK, or the VLDs would give you an advantage over the 260 in any length barrel.

O

old fart

Chris - Its a long action - who ever did this has soldered a piece of metal on the follower - I guess to keep things, cases , from moving around . thanks