Recent Year Savages- Improvement over Past Years?

LaserMark4

Looking at the Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag. I've noticed some issues by members with the LHR quite a few years back. Savage's website is poor at best and I've been unable to get any reliable info on improvements over time (if any).

Have there been any improvements to the latest year models over the previous years or has this rifle stayed pretty much the same these past 5 years? Has it gotten any better production wise over time?

I can't speak for the 111 LRH in .300 WM, but I own a Savage 10 FCP in .300 WM. No issues, shoots good, runs and cycles good.
I think FEENIX shoots one and hopefully he'll post here.

Don Dunlap

The triggers are much better since the Accutrigger appeared. I've personally always thought the button rifled barrels were a cut above. Like most manufacturers, still too much Tupperware.

What are your "quality concerns?"

Compared to a factory Remington, you get a gun with a trigger you don't have to throw in the trash and a barrel that doesn't copper up in 20 shots.

Bedding a Remington is easier than a Savage, and the bolt throw dynamics on a Remington are better, but that's about the end of the advantages for me. If I'm going to bet on a factory rifle, I'd take Savage over Remington. But CZ and Tikka would also be in the mix.

I've owned Savages that span several years, a LRH, LRP, and a Predator as well as a couple of rimfires. I won discount certificates for all of them at Egg Shoots over the years that were sponsored by Savage. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but with thousands of rounds fired, they are all sub .5MOA shooters, hold their zero, and have proven to be reliable and durable. I also own customs and semi-customs as well as other factory brands. IMO, the Savage may not be the prettiest, and some models have crappy plastic stocks, but they surely don't take a back seat in terms of raw performance. Just this past week end I brought along my first Savage, a +6 year old LRH in 6.5x284 to a local 1000 yard range practicing with the PRS guys. That well used LRH held its own against rifles costing 5X as much.

If I'm on my game my Savage LRP in 260R shoots bug holes..

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 122
I do not have the LRH but I do have a model 10 predator with accustock and fluted varmint barrel. Bought it about 3 months ago, and it shoots good with hand loads. Nothing other than the 87 gr bergers in HSM factory shot under moa. I also just bought a new Remington 700 in 7 Remington mag that shoots very well (hand loads) I'm a Remington fan but the savages I have all are good shooters. With the Remington everything is relatively easy to fix or customize. Not sure about the newer savages. I don't like the bottom bolt release but the accu trigger is nice breaks nicely to me. I think you'll do good to try and put one in your hands if you can find one on a shelf somewhere. Tikkas are nice too if you go that route. I hope to get my hands on one too I've got an itch for a 300 myself.

No idea about reported problems. From what I see the community is hit and miss on liking Savage at all for nebulous or at least dubious reasons. If you want to see some proper savage hate head over to sniperforums.com and check out Orkan's latest screed on the topic.

Fact of the matter is they're a good rifle. Millions of them are quite reliably (by all appearances) holding up closet walls throughout the USA. I personally use 3 of them as match rifles. They're inexpensive, have a really good trigger in the accutrigger, they're easy as pie to make very accurate and start out reliably accurate. There's tons of customization if you're into that. I would feel very comfortable taking one afield.

Won't feel as slick as a Remington, Tikka, Winchester, Sako, etc... but won't be any less functional.

I own several Sagages and I have nothing but positive things to say about all of them. Within the past 3 years, I've purchases a 12 BVSS in .22-250, a 11 Trophy in .22-250, and a 10/111 in 6.5 CM. All are less than 1 MOA @ 120 yards. I've never had a single issue with any of them.

Can say that for several of the R700s I purchased during that same time frame.

Appreciate all the solid feedback. My main question was whether the rifle is "getting better" over time-- certainly the trigger is a big PLUS! Sounds like their stocks have gone through a few iteration. The other concern is if the rifle holds accuracy are some rounds (obviously over some reasonable time)? It seems like I saw a couple of posts that accuracy drifted off after some rounds, but I'm sure there are a lot of other variables at play here. For the most part, it seems like a LOT of folks like their Savages.

Also my Bad that I was not using the right search terms originally on the site (a newbie), so I have now found a LOT of reviews and discussions on the Savage 11 LHR-- seems like a lot of satisfied folks!

no surprise. it's a hell of a rifle for something you get over the counter. Accuracy drift over time is entirely on the shooter. If you treat an accurate rifle right it'll treat you right for as long as the barrel lasts. Every barrel gives up sooner or later. Don't shoot it hot, don't clean it too often. It'll last longer than most hunters if you don't use it for plinking.

Well, pulled the trigger as they say (pun intended) on a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter .300 Win Mag. Out the door (new), along with their $100 rebate (until the end of June) for $499. A heck of a rifle I'm thinking for the price and looking forward to my first long rifle.

For 500 bucks you got a lot for your money. Betcha that rifle outlasts the owners knees. Now you get to deal with the optic. As the old saying goes, the glass costs twice the rifle. So start your budget at 1000 bucks and go up if you need to.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.