Recent muskox hunt

Jeff Haugland

After tracking two bulls to a heard of 9 more bulls and cows there were two black wolves within 100 yards of the heard, after walking towards the heard to act like a challenge, the herd bull stopped banging heads with the 2 we tracked and ran directly at me stopped at 50 yards, turned broadside and I took him with muzzleloader. The whole time the wolves never was more than 300 yards from us. They watched from a 1/4 mile as we skinned him. It was -35 and they were hungry. It was $2500 to pull the trigger. I regret not buying a tag~

Yeah, I've seen -40 F. once when I was ski patrolling the 1979 World Championship Nordic events (Pre-Olympics) at Lake Placid, NY.
All races were cancelled - after we ski patrollers stood at our rescue stations along the 15 k. race course that morning for an hour! But we were dressed for it and had no problems.

This year I bought an Eddie Bauer PEAK XV down expedition parka conservatively rated to -30 F. Since I know what that temp feels like I can say this parka is good to at least -40 F. It has a hood designed to go over ski and climbing helmets and other very good features like hidden drawstrings for hood and hip areas.
Also I have the layered pants, Sorel felt pacs and heavy mittens to match it. (BTW, I highly recommend Dachstein boiled wool mittens as about the best liners for extreme temps. Made in Austria for over 100 years.) I use them inside OR brand Gore-Tex mitten shells.

Also I've learned that having a face mask and goggles in those temps is mandatory. You want absolutely no skin uncovered. And thin glove liners save your hands if you need to remove your mittens to manipulate something.

Eric B.

BUT... skinning a musk ox at -35 F.? THAT would be difficult and would have to be done quickly and would not be fun. How did you do it? Is the meat tasty?

Last edited:
After tracking two bulls to a heard of 9 more bulls and cows there were two black wolves within 100 yards of the heard, after walking towards the heard to act like a challenge, the herd bull stopped banging heads with the 2 we tracked and ran directly at me stopped at 50 yards, turned broadside and I took him with muzzleloader. The whole time the wolves never was more than 300 yards from us. They watched from a 1/4 mile as we skinned him. It was -35 and they were hungry. It was $2500 to pull the trigger. I regret not buying a tag~

Where did go? Who was the guide, if any? How long was the hunt? How did you get there? Please give specs on your muzzleloader. I have been considering a Muskox hunt.

Thank you for posting

Jerry

Very cool story and congrats on a wild hunt. $2500 isn't bad for such a big critter.

Congrats on the hunt! Sounds like a blast other then the part about skinning @ 35 below. I have never had to do that. But we were calving this year when it hit as low as 56 below actual temp.

Again congrats on the hunt of a life time. As Steve above me said. Pictures please!!

I booked the hunt through Steve West, Steve's outdoor adventures. Also did a brown bear hunt with him. It was on Holman island known as tiday as ukalaktuk nwt. It was a 7 day hunt, in april, was there the previous October and my gear didn't show up. I used a smokeless muzzleloader which I have built many , 45 cal. Sabotless. If I were to go on another , I would look at a different source. There was no intetaction from Steve to the inuet village and it was poorly run. I was damm lucky to fill my tag, as we never had enough gas for the snow machines for more than 2 days, thats just beginning of a **** show.
Jeff~

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.