Recent 28 Nosler Proven Load Data

I believe it is a SAAMI spec chamber. I'm seated to .015" clearance @ 2.855" to the ogive. I don't have any loaded up at the moment so I'm not sure what the actual OAL to the tip is.

I ran into pressure signs earlier than most in testing so my chamber must be tight or my brass thick or something.

I'm using Nosler brass and velocities were measured with a lab radar

I believe it is a SAAMI spec chamber. I'm seated to .015" clearance @ 2.855" to the ogive. I don't have any loaded up at the moment so I'm not sure what the actual OAL to the tip is.

I ran into pressure signs earlier than most in testing so my chamber must be tight or my brass thick or something.

I'm using Nosler brass and velocities were measured with a lab radar

Ok thank you. It must be SAAMI spec because I had my 28N throated for 195s and and at .015 off the lands I am at a COAL of 3.713.

Reloder 33 and N570 are really the best two powders. I have a rifle built by Ryan Pierce and it's an unbelievable rifle. I have done a considerable amount of shooting with my first 28 Nosler and this one is my second. I recommend that you use the 195s and either use one of those two powders. Don't mess with anything else, you will burn that barrel off of it before you know it. Start at 84 grains of reloder 33 and work up to 88. Mine likes it at about 3100fps, I have 8 pounds of N570 but didn't mess with it yet. I clean the barrel every 25-30 rounds. Reloder 33 is dirty.
Ive heard a lot of ppl staying in between the N560 and N570
If i find the chat ill show yas if ya like..
They tried RL-33 and N565. They where saying the presure was high on N570 and seem to be ok with N565..

Ive heard a lot of ppl staying in between the N560 and N570
If i find the chat ill show yas if ya like..
They tried RL-33 and N565. They where saying the presure was high on N570 and seem to be ok with N565..
N565 is faster burn rate than N570, so it would pressure up faster.

I have used RE-33 and N-570... Only reason I ever got pressure is if I didn't clean the ole NOS about every 30 rounds.. I hated the 33 it was filthy.. N-570 was much better and I am getting 3200 with the 195 and 82 grains of N-570 I am at 7500 feet though so I gain just a little and with Nosler brass I got a slight ejector mark.. ADG NO mark and better accuracy. It is the most accurate for me out of H-1000, Retumbo, RE-33.. You just have to clean your 28 if you want to play.. Don't be afraid to get a lyman bore scope and keep track of carbon ring formation... You shouldn't have any problem if you do. Just my 2cents. Good luck and bang some steel.

I have used RE-33 and N-570... Only reason I ever got pressure is if I didn't clean the ole NOS about every 30 rounds.. I hated the 33 it was filthy.. N-570 was much better and I am getting 3200 with the 195 and 82 grains of N-570 I am at 7500 feet though so I gain just a little and with Nosler brass I got a slight ejector mark.. ADG NO mark and better accuracy. It is the most accurate for me out of H-1000, Retumbo, RE-33.. You just have to clean your 28 if you want to play.. Don't be afraid to get a lyman bore scope and keep track of carbon ring formation... You shouldn't have any problem if you do. Just my 2cents. Good luck and bang some steel.
How do people assume they gain velocity from altitude? If anything you'd lose velocity due to less oxygen. You measure velocity right out the barrel so thin air makes zero difference on obtainable velocity.

Just going off experience and air density.. I can go shoot at my buddies ranch at 4000 ft and I lose fps on the Lab Radar.. I am not a ballistician but that has been my experience.. But, Temp may have been significantly different too. Many factors to play in to the equation.. Every gun shoots a little different and no gun is going to be exactly the same in velocity with the same load.. Never has for me. That's how..

I might be wrong but I got less drop at 400 yds at 8,500 ft compared to initial sighting in at 1,100 ft. I was shooting high and thought maybe because the air is less dense.
Less drop due to less atmospheric pressure to slow your bullet down in flight. Velocity at the muzzle will be the same at 10k foot vs 0' if temp is the same or you have temp stable powder. That's why airplanes cruise at 35k foot vs 15k foot. They burn a lot less fuel in the thinner air.

Reloder 33 and N570 are really the best two powders. I have a rifle built by Ryan Pierce and it's an unbelievable rifle. I have done a considerable amount of shooting with my first 28 Nosler and this one is my second. I recommend that you use the 195s and either use one of those two powders. Don't mess with anything else, you will burn that barrel off of it before you know it. Start at 84 grains of reloder 33 and work up to 88. Mine likes it at about 3100fps, I have 8 pounds of N570 but didn't mess with it yet. I clean the barrel every 25-30 rounds. Reloder 33 is dirty.
Which primer you using with this combo.

How do people assume they gain velocity from altitude? If anything you'd lose velocity due to less oxygen. You measure velocity right out the barrel so thin air makes zero difference on obtainable velocity.
Higher altitude, less air molecules to bounce the bullet off of. Makes it flatter shooting. Think airplanes or kickers at mile high stadium.
Second the "clean your 28". I had loads that were great, then sucked. Couldn't figure it out till I kept her clean. Great info guys. I'm in the n570 camp with 195s.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.