Recent 28 Nosler Proven Load Data

Higher altitude, less air molecules to bounce the bullet off of. Makes it flatter shooting. Think airplanes or kickers at mile high stadium.
Second the "clean your 28". I had loads that were great, then sucked. Couldn't figure it out till I kept her clean. Great info guys. I'm in the n570 camp with 195s.
Muzzle velocity is independent of atmosphere/altitude. External ballistics yes, they're affected by altitude.

How do people assume they gain velocity from altitude? If anything you'd lose velocity due to less oxygen. You measure velocity right out the barrel so thin air makes zero difference on obtainable velocity.
When your post said velocity, I thought you meant external ballistics, not just muzzle velocity. Apologies.

Edit: after deep thought (here we go) it seems air density would have an affect on all velocities(including muzzle velocity), BUT it would be very little from SL to 5k.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.