"Rebounding" NATO 7.62 brass???

" small base dies, why does this term come up. Remember above I said that the chamber reamers are re-sharpened. Once they get down to a certain point they are "under spec" and the vendors use them one more time and call them "small base dies" which is a money makerNow."

I respectfully disagree. Small base sizers are made with specifically smaller dimensions than standard full length sizers. If you don't believe it, call Pacific Tool and Gauge or JGS, both in Coos Bay, Oregon.

The analogy of a hot chamber creating more pressure and case head expansion is well-known to anyone that has ever shot p. dogs. Short bursts on a machine gun would leave one round in the chamber at the end of the burst...

Also, some years ago, I had an engineer Rockwell test different brands of brass. Over the lot of the same brand of brass of the same lot number, there was a 6 percent variation in Rockwell hardness. Further more, between the brands, there was a 12 percent swing in hardness.

I don't know if PTG could provide a reamer print of a machine gun barrel, specs have to be loose to allow for carbon, dirt, etc. These dimensions would be much larger than a factory, not to mention tremendous compared to a custom Palma chamber. So, the Small Base sizer "tries" to reduce the dimension to the New Brass dimension, but brass does have a memory from the first chamber it was fired in.

Last edited:
I have experienced "spring-back" with NATO brass. I was the last one at my club to switch from the M14, to the mouse gun for our Service Rifle competitions. I processed 1000's of 7.62x51mm rounds each year. The M14/M1a is hard on brass the general wisdom back then was you were lucky to get 4 firings from a case. Anything shot from a "PIG" (M60) was probably not worth the trouble processing (see image below). It's important to pre-cull your brass before you commit to processing it. Look up articles from Glen Zediker (RIP) on reloading for the M14, it will give you much incite into reloading NATO brass.

One of the few good things my Dillon 650 allowed me to do was process my 7.62x51mm brass to minimize Spring-back or "Rebounding" as the OP called it. I setup my 650 with a universal decapper , 2 neck sizing dies, and 2 body sizing dies. I bought the brass body and neck down in 2 steps. (Setup - De-cap, 1/2 Body, 1/2 Neck, Full body, Full Neck) I saw much reduced "Rebounding" of the brass. This was before I even owned an annealer. I picked up this trick from one of the best M14 shooters I've ever had the pleasure to know.

Attachments

• 20200507_134711.jpg
    20200507_134711.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
No offense but, I'm doing about 3000 - 5000 cases a year there's not enough hours in the day, or enough asbestos gloves, to do it with a drill and case holder.

It just wouldn't get annealed if I had to do it manually. I'll have to admit my SD's went down when I started annealing, The annealer and my trimmer are huge time savers I'd have given up XTC competitions a long time ago if had to do those task manually. The links below are someone else's Youtube post but I have both of these devices and like them. The Annealer is a much more recent acquisition, the Giraud trimmer I've had for many many years.

While not a solution everyone will spend money on … there are services that utilize these tools to address the bases. Well worth it when processing mil surplus brass

No offense but, I'm doing about 3000 - 5000 cases a year there's not enough hours in the day, or enough asbestos gloves, to do it with a drill and case holder.

It just wouldn't get annealed if I had to do it manually. I'll have to admit my SD's went down when I started annealing, The annealer and my trimmer are huge time savers I'd have given up XTC competitions a long time ago if had to do those task manually. The links below are someone else's Youtube post but I have both of these devices and like them. The Annealer is a much more recent acquisition, the Giraud trimmer I've had for many many years.

Couldn't agree more. I too use both the Aneleeze and a Garaud. When I started reloading many years ago, manual was my way. It was always a $$$ issue for me. No more. Just dont have the time to mess around doing one at a time. My brass lasts longer and my groups are tighter. I would rather stop reloading if I had to give up my Aneleeze and Giraud. Stay safe and have fun.

I found that the toggle block on my Rock Chucker Supreme was broken. I tried replacing it earlier tonight, but found the ram pin broken as well. Not sure if the broken parts had something to do with my issue, but I'll retry once I receive a new ram pin from RCBS. I can't say enough about RCBS' customer service - they have been great to deal with in replacing broken items on my Rock Chucker Supreme.

Attachments

• RCBS crack.jpg
    RCBS crack.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 35
I found that the toggle block on my Rock Chucker Supreme was broken. I tried replacing it earlier tonight, but found the ram pin broken as well. Not sure if the broken parts had something to do with my issue, but I'll retry once I receive a new ram pin from RCBS. I can't say enough about RCBS' customer service - they have been great to deal with in replacing broken items on my Rock Chucker Supreme.
Good Deal..I 2nd the Great Customer Service on RCBS..They are awesome.I had a RCBS Summit press on the Top part the handle screws in to break in the middle.I had the new part in 2 days..Free..Cant beat that.