Reboring to larger caliber?

First would be what kind of accuracy did you get? Did they perform any truing work to your action? Better, same or worse than original bore?
Next, How was their finished product. Basically any info you are willing to share.
I have a 1st gen. Sendero that shoots real well. But, the round count is getting kinda high.

Very interesting thought.
I've got the 6.5mm bug.
I also have a Kimber 25-06 that probably won't get much use if my 6.5 does what I expect it to do.
I've considered re-barreling it in 6.5-06 (or one of the variations on that).
It could be re-bored, huh?

mgood,

The easier answer first:

Reboring requires that difference between the old groove diameter and the new bore diameter needs to be 0.015" at the minimum. Answer: no you can't rebore the existing 25 caliber barrel.

sigsupermatch,

Dan is a full service rifle maker. He can perform any and all necessary accurizing that you might require. I did not have him do any because I simply needed the barrel and I did all the rest as a full time gunsmith.

I used a high quality barrel to begin with, a Bartlein and had Dan pull it from a .30 cal. up to a .338 for a test cartridge I was working on. It shot reasonably well for the intended use which was not for benchrest competition but for average range hunting. 5-shot groups averaged 5/8" at 100 yards meaning some groups were a little larger and some were a little smaller.

Both renditions of that barrel were cut rifled so the comparison was the same judging by my bore scope. Be aware that you will lose about 1" from the muzzle of the original barrel length.

I personally wouldn't waste the money on a Remington barrel but that a decision you have to make. Call Dan and get his opinion on which barrels are best for reboring.

Regards.

mgood,

The easier answer first:

Reboring requires that difference between the old groove diameter and the new bore diameter needs to be 0.015" at the minimum. Answer: no you can't rebore the existing 25 caliber barrel.

Ah well, back to trying to decide whether to buy a new rifle or rebarrel one I have.
Not that there's anything wrong with my 25-06. It's just that the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts