Rebore?

EricL

So I am somewhat sure I may be off in la-la land on this one but tell me what you think. I was reading about the barrel making process on the Brux web sight the other day and it seams they drill a hole in the stock material and then run a special reamer through to take out the last bit of material for the finished land diameter. After that is when the rifling and contouring is done. SO... here is the question. When the bore is shot and its time for a new tube why couldn't we just send it in and have them rebore and rifle it for a larger caliber? Or if we want the same caliber buy a new barrel and get a core charge from the old one and they could rebore it and sell it to the next guy that wants something bigger. It seams like this would be an easy way to save the cost of the stock steel, the initial drilling (they said this step alone takes about 30 minutes each), and the contouring. I mean a shot out barrel is nothing more than a perfectly good blank that has a few thousandths of scorched metal inside that could be removed and new rifling cut into the good metal underneath it right? Now that I have revealed how ignorant I am please tell me what you think of this!!!

Yes you are right. Reboring is a way to re use a burned out barrel. It would be very cost effective with certain barrels like an old lever gun with iron sights or perhaps a custom barrel with several extra features like fluting, larger diameter or longer than usual.

There are several outfits that offer this service. The cost may be prohibitive unless it is a barrel that would cost more than usual for a rebarrel job. I used Dan Pederson's shop http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html
to do this to a 7mm turning it into a 338. It was a 30" SS lilja and it was less expensive to rebore/rerifle than buying a new one.

I have a fluted SS 28" 257 Weatherby barrel that is burned out. It would be a good candidate for reboring/rerifling. The cost would be far less than ordering a new barrel. Same for a #5 fluted SS 27" 300 RUM which would easily become a 338 edge.

Never heard of trading back a burned out barrel as a core.

So I am somewhat sure I may be off in la-la land on this one but tell me what you think. I was reading about the barrel making process on the Brux web sight the other day and it seams they drill a hole in the stock material and then run a special reamer through to take out the last bit of material for the finished land diameter. After that is when the rifling and contouring is done. SO... here is the question. When the bore is shot and its time for a new tube why couldn't we just send it in and have them rebore and rifle it for a larger caliber? Or if we want the same caliber buy a new barrel and get a core charge from the old one and they could rebore it and sell it to the next guy that wants something bigger. It seams like this would be an easy way to save the cost of the stock steel, the initial drilling (they said this step alone takes about 30 minutes each), and the contouring. I mean a shot out barrel is nothing more than a perfectly good blank that has a few thousandths of scorched metal inside that could be removed and new rifling cut into the good metal underneath it right? Now that I have revealed how ignorant I am please tell me what you think of this!!!

I have been saying this for years, and people think i'm just cheap... But you are 100% correct, and the fact still remains, why don't more companies offer this type of service? It would be easy money to be made, especially since they wouldn't have to fork-out the cash for the raw material (barrel steel).

I love my factory Sendero SF barrels, and they are hard to find, and expensive. An aftermarket blank that is stainless and fluted and the same contour is going to cost me $450-650... I could have the old barrel drilled out and re-rifled for probably $150-200... I would much rather go that route.

I just had Mr. Pedersen rebore a 26" Sendero/Varmint 300 RUM barrel
into a 375 RUM. Have not assembled the new package yet.
Very nice fella.

Does he do 5R cut rifling? If so, when I have to rebarrel my .25-06 AI Sendero SF with an aftermarket barrel, I can have that old barrel opened up to a .284 1:9 5R barrel to build a .280 AI on another action. :D

Hemiford how much did it run you to rebore that barrel? I have a 243 win that has a little over 900 through it. It still shoots great but I hear stories about them only going to 1500 or less so I just thinking ahead a bit and when this crossed my mind I was thinking, no contouring, no threading, no fluting, no blue work, and if I use a standard base round its already somewhat short chambered!

EricL,

Dan and I have been friends for a long time so I think it's o.k. if post some information from his website:

Rebore/Rerifle/Rechamber Pricing

(up to 4 calibers larger) Example .22 to .270 or .308 to 9.3 • Larger changes add $5.00 per caliber

Rebore/Rerifle barrel only ..........$250

Rebore/Rerifle/Rechamber w/o setback .........$345

Rebore/Rerifle/Rechamber with setback (Ack. Imp.conversions) .........$395
Reboring FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are considering having your rifle rebored to a larger caliber you need to know that there is some customer assumed risk! Seldom are there any problems associated with the process, but, you need to know that occasionally I do lose a barrel during the rebore.

1. I do not know exactly what the steel content is in factory barrels. Each manufacturer specifies their own mix of steel, and seem to change those specifications at irregular intervals. Most modern steels cut smoothly and cleanly, but some do not.

Barrels that often do not cut cleanly:
• Sako uses a type of steel for their button barrels that is unsulpherized, it cuts to a rough finish.
• Old Winchester barrels seem to have hard and soft spots the entire length of the barrel.
They often will have small tears in the bottom of the groove.
• Old Flaig barrels have a high vanadium content and do not cut cleanly.
• Hammer forged barrels occasionally have microscopic air voids created during the forging process.
• Ruger Stainless Steel button barrels.
• Mauser military barrels about a 50/50 chance of cutting cleanly.

2. The reboring process is a multiple step machining process involving up to 25 reamer pulls to get your barrel up to the new bore diameter. Then the rerifling process involves the rifling cutter moving in and out of the barrel approximately 300 times (50 times per groove). Occasionally during this process something goes wrong. The rifling machine is automatic in its cycling and if a problem occurs, it usually ruins the tooling and the barrel before I can stop the process.

With all of that said, if we have not scared you away, the reboring process is an excellent way to restore an old rifle without having to have a new barrel contour reinletted into your stock, and having the gun reblued. It is generally a much less expensive way to have a caliber change done or to obtain a rifle in a cartridge that is not available through mass manufacture. Accuracy is generally better than original (see some of the rebore targets)

Be assured that Classic barrel stands behind our work. We will do the best job that we can on every job that we accept! Our policy is that if a major problem occurs with your barrel we will not charge you for the work that has been done, and we offer to make you a new barrel at a discounted rate.

Q. How much is a reboring job?
A. Typically $345, plus return freight.

Q. Will the rifle need to be reblued?
A. Not if I do my job right, and if I cause the problem, I will stand the cost of the refinishing.

Q. Do you recrown the barrel?
A. Yes.

Q. Turn around time?
A. Usually about 4 months, but it depends on the # of jobs in the shop, or if I happen to be running a batch of the same caliber, could be longer or shorter time.

Q. How is the accuracy of a rebore?
A. It is usually as good as, or better than the factory barrel shot. You are getting a brand new cut rifled barrel on the inside. Be aware that we do not do the squaring and trueing on a rebore job that we do on a new barrel install, unless you request that process.

Q. How do you remark the barrel?
A. We mill the old cartridge designation out of the barrel marking with a small end mill, and then engrave the new cartridge name into the small oval recess. Cold blue is applied to return color to the shallow cut that we've made.

Q. What are the limitations to reboring?
A. The new cartridge must use the same case family as the new cartridge (30-06 to 35 Whelen) or the new cartridge must be bigger in all dimensions than the old cartridge (22-250 to .243 Win). The cartridge must still fit into the action, but we can change bolt face diameters and magazine boxes. The barrel wall thickness must meet or exceed 125 thousandths per side (250 total) for safety, at the muzzle. For example, a 30 caliber rebore can be no less than .550 at the muzzle (.300 plus .250).

Q. How long or short of a barrel can you rebore?
A. No shorter than 20 inches, no longer than 34 inches.

Q. Can you rebore barrels for gas or pump rifles?
A. No. The mounting hardware or gas blocks are too large to go through the headstock of my rifling machine, I cannot center them, and therefore cannot rerifle.v

Here is the link to his website:

Welcome to Classic Barrel & Gunworks

Regards.

Eric,
I think it was $345, he chambered it too, for the 375 RUM.
That must have been a fairly easy rechambering, probably no setback.

Mudrunner,
Mine was 6-groove, I do not know if he can do a 5R-type.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.