Rebarrelling a Savage

shweedel

What parts would I need, and how hard would it be for a novice to switch barrels on a Savage 111 30-06 to a 25-06?
I've heard people talk about "drop in replacement barrels" and i think Shilen makes them.

So, what parts would I need? I'd definatly go with a sporter style barrel, but what length and twist would I need?

I'd mostly use this gun for yotes at longer ranges since it'll have more reach then a 223.

Thanks
John

In this case the only thing you need is a different barrel, a barrel nut wrench and preferably a set of headspace gauges. There are a variety of manufacturers of Savage prethreads available. Brux, PacNor, Shilen, Douglas and I'm sure a few more that I missed.

Rebarreling a savage is a cinch. I just did my first one a couple of weeks ago. All you need is the barrel chambered in your caliber of choice, barrel nut wrench, a quality barrel vise, go and no-go gages for your chosen caliber and thats it. The only warning I can give you is dont be surprised when you have to beat the hell out of the nut wrench to get the factory barrel off. I kept trying to be nice and careful with it and it didnt come untill I decided to get mean with it. I should add my son and I shot it this weekend for break in and it is shot inch groups during break in with a random load that was kind of middle of the road and nothing special. Good luck to you.

JRW

You might want to be more specific about you're idea of "longer ranges". Some of the guys on this forum shoot from one zip code to the next.

Distance, wind, pelt damage, etc might affect your bullet choice and in most cases, I think the desired bullet would drive your decision for the twist. However, 6mm, 6.5mm, 270, 7mm, 30cal all seem to have better/broader selections for bullets than 25cal.

I beleive 1 in 10" twist is pretty standard now days for 25-06.

You might want a little faster twist if you can get one in a pre-fab barrel and if you intend to mainly shoot the longer/higher BC bullets. (115-120gr)

Anything slower than 1 in 10" may severly limit your ability to use heavier/longer bullets.

I have a 25" Shillen on my Model 70. It has a slow twist, 1 in 11". But, it shoots 80gr Barnes TTSX just under MOA at about 3700 fps. It's pretty flat shooting: +.8" at 100yds, 0 at 200yds and -4.5" at 300 yds. I haven't validated the trajectory past 300 yds. But, that bullet has a BC of .316 as compared to the 115gr Berger at .466.

Hence, I feel that wind becomes a significant concern past 300yds which more than offsets the flat/fast shooting from the lightweght bullets where getting on a coyote and taking the shot quickly is your intent.

I haven't had much luck with Berger VLD or Swift Scirocco in that rifle (~1.5-1.75 MOA). ...likely due to the slow twist.

Hope this helps,
Richard

Really easy.
Good barrel vise is critical and don't be gentle with it trying to get the factory barrel off. It is really on there.
It is actually fun to work on and very satisfying when it shoots great.

Exactly dont be afraid to beat the hell out of it to get the factory barrel off. But after that is off life is gravy and as long as you use a little antisieze you wont ever have that problem again.

JRW

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.