rebarreling savage axis

atl5029

So every time I walk into my local Cabelas, I can't help but notice the entire rack of used Savage Axis rifles they have sitting there for a nice price. I'd be tempted to buy one or two if the barrels are as easy to swap as the 110 series rifles. Does anyone know if the Axis can be rebarreled with a prefit barrel made for the 110 series from Criterion, Shilen, McGowen, etc? Are the threads the same?

i don't know if I would try to make a super precision rifle out of one, but if I could find one with an accutrigger on it for a steal, it'd be tempting to try to see what I could make of it.

There's a guy on You Tube that modified an Axis in hopes of making a $500.00 1000 yard rifle. He pretty much guts one but uses all the factory parts with exception of the stock. The Social Regressive is his channel on You Tube.

I did a savage axis with a McGowen barrel in 260 ackley with a boyds pro varmint stock with a aim sports xpf 10-40x scope that shoots sub moa out to 1000y. only used part was the donor rifle (receiver etc) all the other parts were new

total cost was $800
used rifle $275
scope new $90
scope mount $25
stock $144
barrel $190
bipod $35
scope rings $12
bedding compound $25
spray paint $4

I did a savage axis with a McGowen barrel in 260 ackley with a boyds pro varmint stock with a aim sports xpf 10-40x scope that shoots sub moa out to 1000y. only used part was the donor rifle (receiver etc) all the other parts were new

total cost was $800
used rifle $275
scope new $90
scope mount $25
stock $144
barrel $190
bipod $35
scope rings $12
bedding compound $25
spray paint $4

Rifle got a new paint job this weekend. So I need to add $24 to the total. I used the swirl dip method to have something different.

here is some of what was done to the stock
The receiver is pillar bedded into the stock
I added a 3rd leg to the rear of the stock. This along with the bipod gives 3 points of contact and its adjustable for elevation. The bipod is a copy of the PH design but costing under $40. The stock now has a removable cheek rest. The original cheek rest was too low but at the height I wanted it the bolt could not be removed from the rifle with the rifle in the stock so the solution was to cut the cheek rest off the stock add in 3/4" of height and make it removable. I set it up with a single screw to lock it in position the screw can be tightened or loosened with any 308 case rim. Under the cheek rest is a tool compartment holding tools needed for the rifle including the hex wrench for the adjustable butt plate. the butt plate has 2" of travel down and 1.75" travel up for 3.75" total adjustment and it can also rotate 360 degrees.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 631
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 591
This is the first time I will have to say that axis is a really cool looking gun. :D
Every time I've seen an axis all I think about is how cheap can a gun be made. Don't get me wrong I have a savage SS116 in a 6.5X284 Norma and really love to shoot it but I think it cost about twice what the axis cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.