Rebarreling Savage 12 -.22-250?

I got tired of shooting my 300WM single shot so I seated bullets to fit in clip and went to a faster burning powder. Im talking from on the lands to .249 off the lands. With changing to a faster burning powder since less case cap. I have only lost 23fps.

I got tired of shooting my 300WM single shot so I seated bullets to fit in clip and went to a faster burning powder. Im talking from on the lands to .249 off the lands. With changing to a faster burning powder since less case cap. I have only lost 23fps.

Yep, my point exactly. Every bullet can be tuned to some extent. Changing the powder to fit the application is key.

Tank

I guess I was thinking you might knock the 6.5x284 back down to say 260 Rem. In which case, why not step down to 260 Rem or do the bolt swap and step up to 270WSM.

Or, just get really good at one shot kills. ;-)

Good info.

Thanks!!
Richard

I actually got a higher velocity with the faster burning powder and bullet seated in, I just had to back off to find the accuracy which was at 23fps less than original velocity.

I forgot who mentioned it but I think they are right on the money with the .284

Lots of good options.

It might just come down to how involved and/or sexy you want the project to be.

260, 308, 7mm-08 are usually in stock and can be ordered straight off of various websites along with a set of go/no-go gauges and screwed on.

Others can be ordered straight from the maker with some lead time.

Still other options involve bolt swaps and/or gunsmiths.

Thanks!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.