Rebarreling Browning X-Bolt

waspocrew

I've searched around for a while without finding a ton of info, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with rebarreling a Browning X-Bolt?

I've heard some say the A-bolts are tough barrels to remove and can actually strip the threads from the receiver. I'm wondering if the X-bolts have that reputation as well?

I currently own 2 X-Bolts (a Stainless Hunter in 25-06 and Varmint Special in .223) and have a couple ideas for them. I don't love that my 223 has a 1:12 twist (would prefer a 1:8 for heavy pills) and I'd really like to build a 280 AI off the 25-06.

Just looking for anyone to offer their experience. Thanks in advance.

I've searched around for a while without finding a ton of info, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with rebarreling a Browning X-Bolt?

I've heard some say the A-bolts are tough barrels to remove and can actually strip the threads from the receiver. I'm wondering if the X-bolts have that reputation as well?

I currently own 2 X-Bolts (a Stainless Hunter in 25-06 and Varmint Special in .223) and have a couple ideas for them. I don't love that my 223 has a 1:12 twist (would prefer a 1:8 for heavy pills) and I'd really like to build a 280 AI off the 25-06.

Just looking for anyone to offer their experience. Thanks in advance.
My smith rebarreled my A-Bolt II with no problems. He said the barrels are on there pretty good because they use something like lock-tite to keep them in place. He said, sometimes they have to heat them up to sort of re-liquify the lock-tite material, so they can remove the barrel...But that is only on rare occasion. He said mine was on there pretty good, but took a few extra taps with the hammer on the action wrench than other normal actions, and it spun right off with no issues.

Look on the bright side though...Once you get that factory barrel off and those threads cleaned up, that action is good to go from now on if you rebarrel it again later.

The Browning LA mags are just long enough to utilize the long high BC bullets in the '06 based cases. You can usually seat them pretty close to the lands to get good accuracy.

Personally, I love the A-Bolt II actions. I have been looking for a cheap .270 or .30-06 used ABII to snatch apart and use for my .280 AI build, since everyone these days seems to think their used model 700's are worth their weight in gold, and I can go buy a new one for cheaper than a used one...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.