Rebarreling a Ruger M77 MkII

Overkill338

I have found out, the Ruger American is threaded the same as the M77, and has a barrel nut. I love Ruger rifles, I've just never been much on Remington and Winchester. I know I'm an odd ball.

Anyway, I would like to take my .300 Win Mag, and rebarrel it into a 28" .300 PRC. I believe that should be able to push the 210 ABLR or 212 ELD-X close to 3200.

Has anyone tried converting a Ruger to the barrel nut system? Last question, how does a Remington, or my M77 MkII barrel hold in place the way they are? Are the threads just that binding?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

I have found out, the Ruger American is threaded the same as the M77, and has a barrel nut. I love Ruger rifles, I've just never been much on Remington and Winchester. I know I'm an odd ball.

Anyway, I would like to take my .300 Win Mag, and rebarrel it into a 28" .300 PRC. I believe that should be able to push the 210 ABLR or 212 ELD-X close to 3200.

Has anyone tried converting a Ruger to the barrel nut system? Last question, how does a Remington, or my M77 MkII barrel hold in place the way they are? Are the threads just that binding?

I would check the. magazine length if I were you to see what your Max coal is? You can have a smith cut it out problaby but the prc needs 3.75" to run at its best. I reqlize the 300 wm case is a little longer than the prc but it too is restricted in a std Ruger.

With a 210 in the PRC, 3200 may be borderline max. I'm not saying it can't be done but will surely be close to the limit. RL33 may get you there but I'm not certain. Barrel on a 700 has shoulder that tightens against the recoil lug which is sandwiched between the barrel shoulder and action face. Barrel on a 77 has a shoulder that tightens against the action face, no recoil lug.

I can reach 3200' with my 30 SM but I dont think it will happen with the PRC if you want more than one load/case. Its close to max in the SM..

Last edited:
I'm guessing that around 3000-3050 fps with a 210 & 28" barrel in the prc would be generous.

A Ruger M77 has a shouldered barrel like a Remington. And also your MAX length in an M77 long action is 3.430", definitely not long enough for that cartridge. However, You could talk to your smith and see if he would mill your receiver and install a Wyatt's extended (3.850") mag box so that you could, I had a smith here that would, but I haven't heard of many that do or have done it. If you can't find anyone to do it, you will either be stuck with short bullets or have to go with a different chambering.

I know that no one wants to deal with the lapua bolt face but I've been very happy with my 300 Norma. I had a 300 win mag and nothing wrong with it but when I decided to step up, I wanted a significant step up in 30 cal. But I also understand that if a fellow already has a standard magnum bolt face on hand, the 300 Norma is not as easy as going to 300 prc or 30 nosler. I think the 300 prc is a great design and will be easier to load for than most saami chambered 300 win mags. I believe there is over optimism among the general potential buyers of the prc about significant velocity gain of the prc over the 300 win mag with the same powders & bullets loaded in both cartridges. Some gain, yes but it's hard for me to see 200fps gain over the win mag with same bullets & same powders. I would guess possible up to 100 fps gain on average if that much with all things being equal, barrel length, same bullets, same powders. This of course is all relative, and I won't debate an argument between the prc and win mag. The PRC is clearly a better designed case in factory form compared to the win mag but the win mag can be coaxed into hanging close with the prc.

I will repeat a few things. Too my knowledge the "standard" Ruger long action has a 3.4" mag box. You will need more for the PRC. Second there is no way you are getting 3200 or even 3100 with a 210 plus bullet in the PRC. 3100 is pushing the 30 nosler pretty hard when correctly throated and it is a superior cartridge to the PRC.

Should have said this, If I want a simple rebarrel of a 30 cal magnum, 300 prc would be high on my list of choices.

Last edited:
I will repeat a few things. Too my knowledge the "standard" Ruger long action has a 3.4" mag box. You will need more for the PRC. Second there is no way you are getting 3200 or even 3100 with a 210 plus bullet in the PRC. 3100 is pushing the 30 nosler pretty hard when correctly throated and it is a superior cartridge to the PRC.

Agreed. If 3200 is desired, a 300 rum or 300 norma will get you there with 210/212 gr bullets. 30 nosler will get you closer to that than the prc

I have had 4 Noslers(still have two) and have prc. If you are reloading I can not for the life of me comprehend why you would choose the PRC. I chambered one for a review. Will it kill things? Yes. Is it accurate? Yes. Is the 30 Nosler better in every way except factory ammo? Yes.

Hornady marketing>Nosler marketing.

I would find a good smith and ask about opening your action up for the 3.75" you will need.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.