Rebarreling a 22-250 to a 6.5?

MOA Chaser

I have an old M70 in 22-250 (varmint barrel) that I rarely ever shoot. Would it be possible to have it rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor?

Yes, you can have a .22-250 re-barreled into any short-action caliber you want, provided it has a standard (.470") bolt face.

If you handload, I would look into the .260 Rem AI, over the 6.5 Creed. The Creed is too proprietized. There's only 1 company making brass, ammo, etc... I wouldn't want a caliber that was THAT dependant on 1 solo company (Hornady). Go with the .260 AI, because Lapua makes .260 Rem brass, and you can find dies and .260 Rem ammo by quite a few manufacturers. It's been around, and it's tried and true.

Just simply my opinion.

Yes, you can have a .22-250 re-barreled into any short-action caliber you want, provided it has a standard (.470") bolt face.

If you handload, I would look into the .260 Rem AI, over the 6.5 Creed. The Creed is too proprietized. There's only 1 company making brass, ammo, etc... I wouldn't want a caliber that was THAT dependant on 1 solo company (Hornady). Go with the .260 AI, because Lapua makes .260 Rem brass, and you can find dies and .260 Rem ammo by quite a few manufacturers. It's been around, and it's tried and true.

Just simply my opinion.
That is not true, Hornady, Winchester and Copper Creek all load 6.5CM ammo.
Hornady, Norma and Nosler make 6.5CM brass.

That is not true, Hornady, Winchester and Copper Creek all load 6.5CM ammo.
Hornady, Norma and Nosler make 6.5CM brass.

All I have seen is Hornady brass and ammo... I have heard rumor that other companies are going to be making brass and ammo, but have not seen it yet.

Either way, none of those companies compare to Lapua brass.... Therefore the .260 AI still wins, IMO. :D

now, now, don't go running off scared. it's okay, we will be gentle...
We answered your question, yes it can be done.
Pick the caliber you like, you're the one spending the money.

Build the 6.5 creedmoor, no fireforming there. I'm rebarreling to a 6 creedmoor now to replace a 6x47 lapua barrel. Lapua brass was never a concern of mine. I've shot tiny groups with and without it. gun)

Build the 6.5 creedmoor, no fireforming there. I'm rebarreling to a 6 creedmoor now to replace a 6x47 lapua barrel. Lapua brass was never a concern of mine. I've shot tiny groups with and without it. gun)

I have too, but if the best brass there is, is available...Why not use it?

Well I paid 65.00 for 100 pieces of hornady brass. If Lapua made it I would bet it would be over a 100 plus per 100. I'm not a high volume shooter so the need for 10 plus firings per case doesn't matter to me. This will be a hunting gun so if I lose some brass I won't cry as bad if it were 1.00 a piece like the lapua. I've had to prep and neck turn lapua cases as well as the others, and I personally think fireforming is a waste when there's good cases all ready available. I can't really argue about this particular case yet as I haven't used it yet but I've "read" pretty high reviews about it. I've also got another newly barreled 6x47 lapua, so I'm not out anything reloading wise. If it doesn't work out I'll rechamber.

OK. The plot thickens! :) Now that we know it can be done, any suggestions on the best barrel, twist, and length? Say for a 140 gr bullet??

I'd go for:
- 1:8 twist for 140's
- 24-26" length
- Pick any barrel manufacturer out there (Bartlein, Krieger, Rock Creek, Brux, etc.)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.