Rebarreling 300saum what twist to order?

LDHunter

I have an older Remington Custom Shop Model Seven AWR (Alaskan Wilderness Rifle) and am not happy with the barrel. When I have John Whidden of Whidden Gun Works look at the barrel I suspect that he will recommend rebarreling it and I'd like to know what twist to ask for. He's already bedded the action and recommended I shoot it some before putting a new barrel on it to see if that fixed my accuracy problems. It helped but I still am not satisfied with the accuracy... <sigh>

I think the factory twist is probably 1:10" and I'm thinking a faster twist will be better. It probably won't improve accuracy just because it's a faster twist but I think this barrel is just not a great one and if I'm rebarreling anyway.....

The primary purpose of this rifle is hunting medium to large game up to elk and moose and I'd like to be able to shoot up to 200gr bullets but will likely not shoot beyond 180gr bullets most of the time.

I'd likely just shoot Nosler AccuBond bullets if I suspect I'd be hunting game at or under 400yds but don't want to limit myself to just 180gr max in case I get the opportunity to hunt long range with Len and Andy so maybe I'd want to end up shooting a Berger hunting bullet (or similar) of a heavier weight.

What twist do y'all recommend? The barrel will be a premium barrel but not a match barrel and it will be stainless and length will be 24". Stock is a McMillan AWR "Kevlar" stock but I think they're mostly fiberglass but on a couple of my other rifles after bedding and with a premium barrel they shoot quite well.

TIA
$bob$

Being you have a semi Magnum case on a short action, you'll be crowding powder space as you get heavier on bullet weight. Twist goes with desired bullets you want to shoot, what is your plan? 215 Bergers they'll work well from the case albeit a bit slow, maybe 2850 but will fly far and hit hard. The 200.2X is also a good bullet, with short bearing surface. All of these will shoot well in a 1:10, 1:9.5 would also work.

As you wish to shoot up to 200 grain bullets the stock 1-10" will be great.

If you wish to shoot 200 plus the 1-9". Which won't hurt on the lighter bullets, but leaves the door open to play heavier, especially with the mono metal bullets.

1:10" is pretty much the standard twist for most .308 caliber factory barrels, and will stabilize most bullet weights/types but, the 1:9" twist in my experience is better, especially with the solids or the +210gr bullets in colder temperatures. A quality 1:9" twist barrel, properly installed should be outstanding from 150gr on up and will stabilize even the heavy solids with no problem, in very cold temperatures (dense air).

I've a couple of 300 Win Mags with 1:8" twist and find that, while still very accurate, is not necessary for any bullets I use, and I use 230gr Bergers or 240gr SMK bullets a lot. The issue I do see with the 1:8" twist in my 300 Win Mags, with the heavy bullets is rifle torque! Upon firing, I can definitely feel the grip twist in my hand. I really don't like, and certainly don't need a 1:8" twist in any of my magnum 30 calibers. The only place I see use for 1:8" twist or more, in 30 calibers is for subsonic use or some custom extra-heavy solids.

For me, 1:9" twist is perfect in 30 caliber, starting at 30-06 and anything above. For 308 Win and down 1:11 is the ticket for me. YMMV

I have an older Remington Custom Shop Model Seven AWR (Alaskan Wilderness Rifle) and am not happy with the barrel. When I have John Whidden of Whidden Gun Works look at the barrel I suspect that he will recommend rebarreling it and I'd like to know what twist to ask for. He's already bedded the action and recommended I shoot it some before putting a new barrel on it to see if that fixed my accuracy problems. It helped but I still am not satisfied with the accuracy... <sigh>

I think the factory twist is probably 1:10" and I'm thinking a faster twist will be better. It probably won't improve accuracy just because it's a faster twist but I think this barrel is just not a great one and if I'm rebarreling anyway.....

The primary purpose of this rifle is hunting medium to large game up to elk and moose and I'd like to be able to shoot up to 200gr bullets but will likely not shoot beyond 180gr bullets most of the time.

I'd likely just shoot Nosler AccuBond bullets if I suspect I'd be hunting game at or under 400yds but don't want to limit myself to just 180gr max in case I get the opportunity to hunt long range with Len and Andy so maybe I'd want to end up shooting a Berger hunting bullet (or similar) of a heavier weight.

What twist do y'all recommend? The barrel will be a premium barrel but not a match barrel and it will be stainless and length will be 24". Stock is a McMillan AWR "Kevlar" stock but I think they're mostly fiberglass but on a couple of my other rifles after bedding and with a premium barrel they shoot quite well.

TIA
$bob$
I would g to a 1 in 9 for the 200gr bullet and a proof or carbon fiber barrel match chamber built for the bullet you will be shooting. and as far as berger the 215gr Berger hybird target is good no moose boos and bears up here

TIA
$bob$
I would do a 9 twist just in case you want to shoot something like the heavier Hammer Hunters. Their is realy no such thing as having too much twist for that barrel.

If you shoot right handed, order a barrel with left twist which will torque into you as opposed to away from you. You become a buffer. The bullet doesn't care which direction it's rotating. You could also consider a gain twist barrel which increases twist rate as the bullet travels down the bore, the initial torque is reduced as applied to the bullet itself as well as the felt torque as applied to the shooter. An engineer at Bartlein told me that he shoots left / gain (T-twist) in his personal builds with excellent results.The rifle pictured here is a T-twist Bartlein starting at 9 and final is 8, it shoots .3 groups so far with more load development still to be done. It's a 6.5 barrel, if I were shooting .30 cal with heavy bullets I might consider 10 to 9 gain twist. Some of this will be affected by barrel diameter / profile as more bullet weight in a specific twist will apply more rotational force although I believe that most of that initial torque is applied in the first few inches as the bullet moves down the bore. With all of the excellent information already posted and considering your already stated parameters for bullet weight, a good 1-10 barrel will serve you just fine.

TIA
$bob$

If you are going to shoot "stock" length bullets and rarely more than 400 yards, and what I mean is the original accubond length, any twist rate will do and a 10 twist will work just fine. Especially if you are going to stay at the 180 grain level, which I would say is the optimum weight to speed ratio bullet for the 300rsaum.

If you ever plan on shooting the longer high BC bullets, I would highly recommend going with a faster twist rate of atleast a 9.5 twist but not more than a 9.
Tab this calculator to help you
http://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Now if you want to try some alternate technology, you may want to go with a 4 or 3 groove barrel which will help with fps at the 9 and 10 twist rates.

After all that, I recommend a 9.5 twist barrel in 24" of atleast a #4 contour. I have experience with PROOF and Krieger, due to my belief in cut rifle barrels, believe either of these choices will work well in your set up

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.