Rebarrel thompson center compass

Mram10us

I've been seeing a lot of great reviews on these rifles and I'm thinking of buying one and rebarrel to a fun caliber. Anyone know the barrel thread pitch and size? Are there any "gotchas" when it comes to rebarrelling them? Thanks

Edit: Finally got my hands on one and here is a basic drawing of the tenon (no it wasn't a 5 year old). Great news, since the TCC is considered a budget platform, is you can use takeoff remington 700 barrels. You can use the oem recoil lug or fit the barrel with a rem style. Lots of options. Hope this helps. I'll do a build video and post later.
tcc tenon.jpeg
tcc tenon2.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been seeing a lot of great reviews on these rifles and I'm thinking of buying one and rebarrel to a fun caliber. Anyone know the barrel thread pitch and size? Are there any "gotchas" when it comes to rebarrelling them? Thanks
I know of several ventures that were rebarreled and the way I understand it is the gun smith said same as Remington threads they have a good action the stocks aren't much and really not much to choose from other than a boyds stock all of the guns were rebarrled to 6mm Remington and shoot really great. David

I wouldn't recommend it. Personally the Compass is a really good disposable rifle. The barrel is the only redeemable quality. The action is junk and there are no real aftermarket stock or magazine options for it. I'd just shoot the thing til it doesn't shoot any more and then get a new one. I paid $225 for the thing and it shoots 1/2 moa. Not gonna get much better with a $300-400 custom barrel.

I'd only rebarrel a solid smooth action. Just my 2¢

You might be able to have a smith chamber the existing barrel to something fun.

I wouldn't recommend it. Personally the Compass is a really good disposable rifle. The barrel is the only redeemable quality. The action is junk and there are no real aftermarket stock or magazine options for it. I'd just shoot the thing til it doesn't shoot any more and then get a new one. I paid $225 for the thing and it shoots 1/2 moa. Not gonna get much better with a $300-400 custom barrel.

I'd only rebarrel a solid smooth action. Just my 2¢
Why is the action junk? Do you like yours and what would you change? Thanks

No. I don't like it.

It's a cheaply made mass produced sloppy one-size fits all bolt. Like most budget rifles, this bolt was obviously designed to save production costs. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes for a needlessly large and heavy and clunky bolt.

The bolt handle sucks IMO but I'm too cheap to spend $60 to upgrade it.

The bolt throw is very stiff, even after hundreds of rounds.

The bolt action is super loose and sloppy. At the rear position, it can get stuck out of alignment and needs jiggled to cycle reliably. This is not unique to my copy.

I have no doubt in the strength of the action, it's just super unsophisticated so why would I put an expensive custom barrel on it?

I would go with a Savage or Remington or Tikka to build a semi custom fun cartridge. Loads more aftermarket options. This may change in the future, but the $250 Compass market probably isn't the target audience of aftermarket companies.

BTW, I am not knocking the Compass. It is one of the best production rifles I own. It is accurate and stays accurate after heating. It feeds reliably. And it seems to just plain work. I wouldn't trust it on a Once in a Lifetime hunt, but I don't know why. Just feels more like a truck gun, and a perfect one at that.

I say everyone should own one and shoot the heck outta it. Disposable rifles have a place in my inventory. That said, I have been considering the Oryx chassis for it. Haha. I b*tch about a $250 rifle action and then wanna spend $400 on a chassis for it. But it's currently the only option to use AI mags.

I agree, with the "disposable" rifle category. And also have had the same experience with the performance. It's amazing how repeatedly accurate an entry tier rifle can be.

Thanks for the info guys. Back to the original question, has anyone rebarreled one? I have some extra barrels laying around

Been a while and wondering if anyone has rebarreled one of these yet. I picked one up in 6.5cm last night for $200 and will tear it down to the action. Thinking of an oryx chassis....

Let me know how it works out like I said seen a few ventures rebarreled the guys really liked how they turned out other than stock options none of us have messed with the compass we bought our ventures when you could get one for 350. David