rebarrel shipping

jorvin

i am thinking of rebarreling a 700 barreled action. don't want the factory barrel. should i saw it off about 8" from the action so i would be easier to ship? but the real question is what is the best way to ship to the gunsmith, i don't think usps will take it unless i don't tell them what's in the box. and i think ups has problems with guns also. how do i ship????????

USPS can take long guns. The UPS Store, FedEx Kinkos, etc will not take firearms. The UPS or FedEx hub will. Depending on where you are, the clerk may or may not break down in tears at the sight of a barreled action. You might print off their policy and take it with you in case you get a hard time.

The Gun Zone -- Shipping Firearms

As far as cutting the barrel shorter... I would not because then you're making a short barreled rifle (NFA, Class 3, etc), which can get you in felony trouble.

I like them shipped in a hard case and cardboard box for better protection going both ways.

I have been selling a collection of long guns, and do not fool around with UPS, FEDEX, etc.

Take it straight to the USPO. They have never given me a problem or even asked questions as long as I have the receiver's FFL to show them. They know the rules and their rates are cheaper. Call the smith and have him send or fax you his FFL first.

I don't believe you need FFL copy to send a rifle to a gunsmith for repair or rebarrel.
You're right, but having it handy often makes it easier to deal with the UPS/FedEx/USPS clerks that aren't clear on the applicable rules and like to invent their own. You can put their mind at ease and, more importantly, quicken your trip if you can show them proof the addressee is a FFL.

You're right, but having it handy often makes it easier to deal with the UPS/FedEx/USPS clerks that aren't clear on the applicable rules and like to invent their own. You can put their mind at ease and, more importantly, quicken your trip if you can show them proof the addressee is a FFL.

+1

Get the FFL # and address and send it . Also place it in a non dis scrip box for less trouble.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

When I shipped my barreled action and Broughton barrel to Jim See at Centershotrifles I insured it real good and sent it as custom machined parts via UPS no problems.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.