Rebarrel ruger predator worth it?!?!?

jaspepp

to put it simple, I have a ruger predator in 6.5cm with a barrel that has given up the ghost. I know it's not a super nice top shelf rifle, but with an aftermarket stock, trigger, and 4000+ down the pipe it has grown on me and I shoot it well. It has taken on the role as being the woopin child of my fleet and definitely gets more triggers pulls than anything else I own. The question is, would it be worth it to rebarrel a cheap rifle or should I just buy the same one and swap everything over (maybe save the action for a project down the road)? I would love to dive in and have a custom build but it's just not in the cards right now. This is the first barrel I've shot out so it's uncharted waters for me. Thoughts or recommendations?

Rebarrel it! There are a few company's doing prefits. My 6 creed is the rifle I train new shooters on. It shoots great closing in on 1k rounds down it. I beat it up shoot and shoot it some more and it just keeps coming. When this barrel gives it up it will get a new barrel and keep shooting. Mine is in a magpul stock. No reason to go buy another when a simple barrel swap is in order with the twist rate and caliber done the way you want.

Absolutely, rebarreled mine with a bartlein and a bugnut from SPR…carbon six, SPR(bugholes), preferred barrels, PVA all do prefits w/barrelnuts for the ruger american.
84C200C3-5D4C-48EA-A111-5F3AC9C29904.jpeg

No hesitation, rebarrel it with a prefit. You'd literally still be ahead even if you hadn't upgraded other stuff.

I recommend crown ridge barrel works, they were such a pleasure to deal with and my barrel was at my house within a week. The only reason it took that long was I had reamer/twist questions which he responded to in a timely fashion. He keeps stuff in stock, small but good selection. hopefully he still has the supplies on hand, I did this a year and a half ago. A few tools from Midway and a janky homemade barrel vise and I was in business. Or you could take it to a smith and have him true the receiver and lugs while he's at it. You'd have all the benefits of a custom rifle without the parts that make you want to baby it more than you should.

to put it simple, I have a ruger predator in 6.5cm with a barrel that has given up the ghost. I know it's not a super nice top shelf rifle, but with an aftermarket stock, trigger, and 4000+ down the pipe it has grown on me and I shoot it well. It has taken on the role as being the woopin child of my fleet and definitely gets more triggers pulls than anything else I own. The question is, would it be worth it to rebarrel a cheap rifle or should I just buy the same one and swap everything over (maybe save the action for a project down the road)? I would love to dive in and have a custom build but it's just not in the cards right now. This is the first barrel I've shot out so it's uncharted waters for me. Thoughts or recommendations?
Both ideas are definitely worth it ,it's just a question of it may take a while to get a barrel if you had a new one swap your parts over you're ready to go .when you get a barrel for the old rifle then you can start to customize it.

I would put a new barrel on and keep shooting. I would agree with JakeC on having the action trued first. You are already invested in aftermarket parts that work for you. Happy shooting, and let us know how it works out.

Wow there's a lot of question in this post???? I have a safe full of Ruger 77s in my safe. For some people they are considered to be "so so"/cheap rifles, for me not so much. One of my questions to you is, "how long have you had this rifle??" From what you posted you've had it a while since you've put 4000+ rounds down the barrel. And....if you like it what reason would you have to not rebarrel the gun? For me "if it ain't broken" don't fix it. With a custom barrel and refit you are looking at roughly $700+-, and you're back in business for another 4000+ rounds and from what you have written you know and you like the rifle. I can guarantee you that you will be a whole lot further down that rabbit hole with a new action, "and" a rebarrel job build. And with all that custom build their really is no guarantee that the rifle will shoot as good as what you already have after spending a whole lot of money. If you do not believe so read some of the threads on this forum. From what I have read in the OP, "It has taken on the role as being the woopin child of my fleet and definitely gets more triggers pulls than anything else I own", you may have already answered your question. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rebarrel it! There are a few company's doing prefits. My 6 creed is the rifle I train new shooters on. It shoots great closing in on 1k rounds down it. I beat it up shoot and shoot it some more and it just keeps coming. When this barrel gives it up it will get a new barrel and keep shooting. Mine is in a magpul stock. No reason to go buy another when a simple barrel swap is in order with the twist rate and caliber done the way you want.
I put a Rem 700 6.5 CM into a Magpul stock, rather then spending another grand on a chassis. Less expensive and very comfortable to carry and shoot.