Rebarrel or Rechamber my .243 Ackley?

BLD

My problem is I have a 700 Rem action with a medium lengh bolt and a regular bolt face. The barrel is a Mclellan (canadian match grade) stainless with nickle finish. I have excess head space and a small pit in the chamber. The bolt lugs are beginning to gaul. I have shot a .223" group with it the way it is but I want the gun to be right. My gunsmith is recommending to replace the barrel with an HS Precision or cut off my barrel and rechambering it. I am inquiring to you for recommended solutions. I use this gun for target shooting on my own range and will use it in Nebraska for long range at white tail and mule deer.

My options are as follows:

1. rechamber this barrel - same caliber $300.00

2. rechamber to another caliber - which one should I go to still using this action and magazing. Have to stay with 6mm. $300.00

3. new barrel with any cartrige that will fit the action. Are the wsm's worth looking into? $600.00

Depending on the repair I am purchasing this gun for $500.00 from my father inlaw the way it is. He paid $1200.00 and ran approx 2000 rounds through it. So I believe the bore to be in good condition yet.

To rechamber a barrel that has 2000 rounds of 243 AI through it would be wasting money. Yeah, you'll set it back, and the throat will be cleaned up/moved forward, etc, but that's still a high round count to invest another $300 in that tube.

If he's got dies, etc for it, rebarrel in the same caliber, and you're a step ahead. If not, pick anything you like. I personally like the 6mm Remington...

A couple of thoughts- The galling problem needs taken care of. If it's not too bad lapping will probably get it out otherwise it's machine time.
HS barrels suck. If you want a good 6mm barrel, use a Schneider. I built my wife a 243 AI and it shoot sub 1/4 and I have built several others on Schneider tubes that all shot great. second choice would be a Rock barrel.
Setting the current barrel back is an option depending on throat erosion- if it's gone for more than .100" or so it would take two full turns off to recut it and depending on the barrel contour you might not have enough room.
What do you mean you have a medium length bolt? Remmy makes a short or long action. If it's a short stay with the 243 AI, if it's long go with something bigger.

To the original poster.

You said;

My options are as follows:

1. rechamber this barrel - same caliber $300.00

"Rechamber cost should "NOT" be $300.00. It should be a bit less then a new chamber in a new barrel"

2. rechamber to another caliber - which one should I go to still using this action and magazing. Have to stay with 6mm. $300.00

Again---Rechamber to another caliber should NOT be $300.00.

3. new barrel with any cartrige that will fit the action. Are the wsm's worth looking into? $600.00

New Barrel 26" to 28" $250.00 to $300.00 Tops.
Chamber job $125.00 to $150.00 TOPS

Where do you get the $600.00 rebarrel fee? That is extremely high.

If your gunsmilth quoted those prices, find another gunsmith.

DC

PS---The 6mm or 243 are fine cartridges. The WSM takes a Magnum bolt face.

DC,
Your're right, and I didn't catch it earlier. Setting the barrel back should be a little cheaper than that.
However, we (GA Precision) charge $350 to blueprintand rebarrel the action. Good barrels run around $250ish. So $600 is about right for a new barrel.
Some guys will do it cheaper but you get what you pay for...

BLD

1. $300 US for re chambering or chambering is like paying $1500 for a new Rem Sendaro. Nice gun and all, but not worth that much. Chamber job is normally $135-160 from most top LR/BR gunsmiths. Most will check front of rcvr and notify you if needs truing and that only runs $50 normally. Lugs another $25-30. Now if you are trying to milk that last .0001 out of it, maybe recut threads and sleeve bolt etc,

2. Barrels: All cost same so why buy something that is not the absolute best. Schneider might make a good barrel, but you never see it in the winners circle. For same money buy a Hart, Lilja, Spencer, Krieger, K & P.

3. While rebarreling, consider another caliber. Yea, I know some here love the 243 AI for LR deer but I think it is marginal unless perfect hit. I have shot deer with 243, but like a little more knockdown downrange than what it provides. I have also trailed too many deer hit less than perfect with 243, My brother in law thinks hitting a pie plate at 50 yds is an adequate zero. Just my 2 cents. 7wsm might make more sense and have more knockdown.

BH

Schneider never in the winner circle? Tubb uses only Schneider barrels as does the US Army for the M24 sniper rifle. And we all know that Tubb can't shoot and never wins!!!
wink.gif

Chris-- When did the M24 start coming with Schneider barrels? I was under the impression that ALL M24 SWS were made by Remington and had their 5R hammer forged barrels. The first M24's had Mike Rock barrels, but they were replaced with the Remington tubes because Mike couldn't meet production demands. I have researched the M24 from its inception and have never heard of the M24 SWS having Schneider barrels. I'm not busting your balls, I'm just curious as to when Remington purchased and aftermarket barrels for their rifles...

[ 07-28-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Chris

You are right that Tubbs uses schneiders and the MC is using them on the M40a3 they are building here at Quantico. However, the accuracy standards are different for sniper rifles, High power and 1k BR guns. Most sniper and high power guns are built to .5 MOA and there are a lot of barrels that will do that. 1k BR guns are built to be under .25 MOA. My Spencer in 300wsm routinely goes into .100-.200. 1k BR has the smallest groups and highest standards and you never see schneider barrels on a 1k gun, look at all the websites. Tubbs website lists best results for Tubbs 2000 rifle in 308 at .5 MOA and .2-.3 for 6BR out of a machine rest, while the 6 BR with a different barrel and a BR gun routinely goes into .100-.200 or less from a rest and "hand driven".

Bottom line, for whatever reason they are not used in 1k guns other than highpower. So if you are building a highpower rifle, use a schneider. If I want the most accurate known barrels out there, I am going to pick something else.

BH

[ 07-29-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

G Schneider are very good even if they are not very popular but I far prefer to shoot with a Schneider than to shoot with another brand make in real big company with several quality and just the name of the company owner on .

I dont think that 40X barrel came from Remington , they probaly subcontract from Douglas .

When you check original specs of the M 24 , no need of match barrel to reach this level of specs .

last sniper rifle from REM , the Egystian contract are 1.5 inch at 200 yards on 5 shots , nothing really amazing .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Excuse me while I pull my head out of my butt! Schneider's are on the Marine Corp M40A3 not the Army's. My bad!!
But still like Dantec said, do you want a barrel from a one man shop who takes pride in his work or from a big name with guys making minimun wage cranking out barrels as fast as they can?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.