Rebarrel or new cartridge?

CheeseFries

I have a Savage 270 with a nice wood stock that I'd like to keep as my deer gun here on the farm. Had it 11 years and groups have opened and cleaning hasn't helped groups. Won't have any shots over 500 yards and most are taken sitting along fence lines with 300 yard max. I don't reload but plan to start and already have a reloading kit and I have kept all my 270 brass. I'd like to kept the barrel shorter-ish and easy to handle when hiking thru woods. Any ideas on a what would fit my need? I like speed (3000+ FPS) and the 130-150 grain bullets. Is this achieved with a shorter barrel and 130 grain bullet? Or do I just stick with plain old vanilla 270 and a new 22-24" barrel?

You could talk to a smith about reaming it out to a 270 Ackley Improved or a 270 Sherman and adding a little length to the throat/setting it back a thread to get a little more life out of the barrel. That would let you get a little extra velocity out of the case while still using your old 270 brass.

I have a Savage 270 with a nice wood stock that I'd like to keep as my deer gun here on the farm. Had it 11 years and groups have opened and cleaning hasn't helped groups. Won't have any shots over 500 yards and most are taken sitting along fence lines with 300 yard max. I don't reload but plan to start and already have a reloading kit and I have kept all my 270 brass. I'd like to kept the barrel shorter-ish and easy to handle when hiking thru woods. Any ideas on a what would fit my need? I like speed (3000+ FPS) and the 130-150 grain bullets. Is this achieved with a shorter barrel and 130 grain bullet? Or do I just stick with plain old vanilla 270 and a new 22-24" barrel?
Id pick up a prefit savage barrel from Criterion, if you're tired of the 270 for whatever reason maybe look into a 6.5x284.
Or better yet a 280 Ackley improved, it'll have more speed than you know what to do with inside 500 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.