Rebarrel or cut current barrel shorter

Ksduckhntr

i received my suppressors in the last couple weeks and got to shoot with them this week. They are extremely cool but boy do they add some length. On my 223 it doesn't matter since it's kind of a bench/fun rifle with now worries of weight length etc.. My 6.5 swede has a 22" barrel and boy does it feel long. At the range no biggie but I was hoping to hike it around hunting. So it got me thinking about, if I was to design a barrel for hunting suppressed what would that look like. Something 18-20" long, bartlein #4 contour or maybe #3. What cartridge would you pick if it's for mule deer and one day maybe a aoudad type animal at max range of 300-350. Is it the tried and true 308 win, or just cut my swede down? I am open to opinions and discussions. For sake of discussion factory ammo primarily even if it's 30-40 a box. It will be a hunting rig. I have a 300 wsm for anything bigger or longer

Carry the rifle muzzle down. I would not change a thing. I found my 6.5 Swede to kill things with more panache than what paper ballistics would suggest.
I do not own a bolt gun with a barrel shorter than 22", in fact, whenever I re-barrel, I almost always go longer if I don't stay at the same length.

Feeling long, and being long are 2 different things.

I hunt with 26" and 28" barrels all the time, yes they clunk things if I sling them muzzle up, but generally I sling them muzzle down diaganolly across my back while walking in to a good vantage point to glass.
If still/stalking, I carry the rifle at the ready, so this hampers nothing unless there is brush or other obstacles in the way.

It boils down to what YOU want, not what those on the interweb say.

Cheers.
:)

I like the Swede , I'd recommend spending more time with the current barrel to see if it's really an issue. If it's to long cut it . If you want to rebarrel, I'd do a 16.5" 7mm-08, perfect for the game and ranges you mentioned and plenty of factory ammo.

I like the rifle a lot. I am planning on hunting with it first this season to see how it does from a comfort level. I I can just see how it may become cumbersome up and down tree stands or in and out of box blinds. I am just getting a little Intel on any potential cartridges that may be more convenient suppressed. I was thinking the 308 sized cartridges may perform better in short barrels vs an 06 based cartridge?

An 18" barrel in 308 Winchester with a suppressor would balance out pretty good and not be too cumbersome. It would work very well on the game and ranges you mentioned.

I have a 6.5x55 Carl Gustaf Swedish mauser carbine (18" barrel) but it is not threaded at this time to accept suppressor. This is just me but I would leave your barrel length alone until it is time to re-barrel. 22" would be my absolute longest (18" shortest) if I have to have a rifle suppressed for maneuverability and better handling. Having said that, my .30 LARA with 27" barrel is suppressed giving an additional 10" in length. I also have a .300 WSM with 24", .270 AI with 30", 6.5 CM with 22" that can readily accept the same suppressor. It boils down to personal preference and application, esp. in long range hunting.

ADDED: Do a search on LRH member Roe, he has some awesome hunt and videos with his 6.5x55; here's one …

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/shooting-in-rain-weather.203949/

Last edited:
Installing a shorter barrel will make the rifle handier with a suppressor and not effect the energy of most cartridges that much as long as you change to heavier bullets. The 308 and the 7/08 do fine with 18" barrels and if the range is held to 3 to 500 yards the trajectory will not be effected that much.

I have a 7/08 in both a rifle and a pistol. the rifle barrel is 20" and the pistol is 16" and the energy's are very close to each other because I use a 120 grain bullet in the rifle and a 150 grain in the pistol. The zero's are different but the scopes are adjusted for this difference. The pistol has taken 3 dear at over 500 yards. so a short barrel rifle can be very effective at the ranges you intend to use them.

308 based cartridges do very well with shorter barrels and bullet selection can be decided on based on the energies derived from shorter barrels. cartridges with over 50 grains of case capacity normally need longer barrels to be efficient. the 308/ 7/08 would be good choices in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

You can get good performance out of the cartridges suggested in short barrels. I'll also throw 338 federal out there, if your suppressor is large enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.