Rebarrel of Remington

I bought a Remington 700 LSS in a 300 RUM on this forum about a decade ago.
About 5 years ago, I decided to put a muzzle break on it. The gunsmith I found to do it did a great job. He fabricated the brake to look like it is part of the barrel. He also made me a thread protector that looks like there is not threaded piece on the end of the barrel.
Everything was great until I bought a suppressor. I bought my Rugged suppressor because it would handle the 300 RUM.
I tried the Rugged 5/8 x 24 muzzle break on there and it was too big. I thought he must have had to do it 1/2 x 28 because of the size of the barrel.
After buying a 1/2 x 28 device I determined it was too small! So I haven't measured it yet, but if I had to guess it is either 9/16 or some metric threads.
So where do I go from here? Find some kind of adapter or rebarrel the rifle?

I know, I don't post much on this forum. But I have read it for years and I am impressed with some of the knowledge here. I am not really looking to take the action and start over completely, but have considered replacing the pretty laminated stock with something a little more weather proof.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Chris
I'm in a similar situation. i bought a Remington 742 chambered in 30-06 that had a flash suppressor on the end of the barrel. It looked like an actual Remington modification, because there was a flat spot on the flash suppressor indicating where the top of the rifle barrel was, and the front sight mount extended over that flat.

Anyway, I wanted to put a muzzle brake on it and, like you, assumed it was the standard .308 5/8x24 thread. It wasn't. The threads were actually 9/16x18. I ended up buying an all-steel brake threaded in 1/2x28 (the 5.56 thread), drilling it out, and re-tapping it to fit using the tap set I will give you the link for. I had to use a 33/64 drill bit. Of course, it goes without saying that I had to make the hole bigger as well. You can't fit a 7.62 round through a 5.56 hole and expect a good result.

Anyway, here's some links to the stuff I used. If you have a thread protector, take it down to your local ACE hardware and verify the thread pitch before you go tapping anything.

Stay on target!

Just use the adapter

I am using the adapter. Just waiting on a back ordered muzzle brake device.
I shot it with flash hider and it worked perfectly.