Rebarrel my SA or go LA with 7mm WSM

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by HoytFlinger, Oct 30, 2011.

1. HoytFlinger

HoytFlinger Well-Known Member

I currently have a Win Mod 70 CRF chambered in 7 WSM. I am either going to have it rebarreled or go with a Rem 700 long action and have it fitted with an Obermeyer barrel chambered in 7 WSM.

I am going to have it throated for 180 VLDs. Which would you do, rebarrel current short action or go with the Rem 700 long action for this 7 WSM?

2. HoytFlinger

Nobody has any advice?

3. JARHEAD1371

JARHEAD1371 Well-Known Member

That all depends on how you shoot. If you are looking for a tac type rifle you'll need a long action to be able to feed from the mag. If you mainly shoot targets or hunting then the short action will do fine. My SAUM is built on a Surgeon short action single shot and it works great for hunting. Besides, if a shot misses then the conditions need to be re-read before a second shot is taken. I don't feel at a disadvantage at all.

4. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

FWIW, i build all my rifles on long actions (rem 700's) I like the ability to load to any COAL and after I find a load the rifle likes, I machine a spacer that will fit behind the short action follower that has been machined to proper length, this allows me to feed from mag.

5. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

I have built a couple WSM on Win actions and have never had a problem with crowding like I do in Rem 700s. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the Win has a little longer available COAL.

6. HoytFlinger

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards long action. I don't want to be hampered by COAL. It will mainly be for hunting, but I want to have the capability of some real long range work.