Rebarrel Browning HC LR ?

Varmint Hunter

I've got a Browning Hell's Canyon Long Range McMIllan rifle in 6.5 Creed. The rifle has the original Browning burnt orange finish. I'd like to have a new custom barrel put on the rifle. Can a smith match the color perfectly or is that color exclusive to Browning? A mismatch would look terrible.

It can be ordered in that color or mixed to match, but if it were me I would PLAN on a slight mismatch, if it is very slight you might be OK with it and your expectation would be exceeded. Likely this is the expected outcome, it should be pretty darn close. If it doesn't match that well your expectation will be met and you expected that going in, but can you live with it?7 Or pick a complementary color to do the barrel in that looks good to you then all is good. The last thing you can consider is having the barreled action recoated, then it matches perfectly and you are happy. If I am reading you right I think your best option is to have the whole barreled action done, then it will match perfectly.

1662493800553.png

Burnt bronze, should be the color. But just like said above it's like repainting a car door with the exact paint after a couple years of use. It just never is exactly the same. But, I bet it's close enough for most... real close. Talley and many others use it and it matches.

Last edited:
If I were doing the Cerakote I'd recommend blasting and re-coating the entire barreled action/bolt if you're a stickler for a perfect match.
The Burnt Bronze is pretty consistent- but as anyone that does Ckote will tell you, there can always be variation between batches.

The gloss/sheen is also dependent on the ratio of hardener to coating- and without knowing the exact mix ratio used by Browning it's going to require some test pieces be done to try to match. Just easier to do it all, and know that it'll match.