Rebarrel and suppressor question(s)

Peter Morton

I have Savage 110 High Country in 280 AI. It's got a 22" barrel, threaded for a brake/suppressor, and a 9" twist. It shoots nice, like sub 1" MOA or better, sometimes. Components for reloading are a little scarce, but I shoot a 160 Accubond with it and get .5" groups, sometimes. It may still need a little dialing in. I might not be where I want to be with it, yet. I may also just be inconsistent, myself.

But the rifle is a little heavy. I was thinking about getting a CF barrel to shave a little weight and add a suppressor. Carbon Six will do a Savage barrel in 18" and I can add a 5-7" suppressor to keep the barrel short enough for practical hunting.

My question is simple: Am I going to lose velocity based on the barrel being 18"? Or does the suppressor maintain velocity and give me the speed of a longer barrel?

You will loose velocity if you shorten the barrel. I am to the point that "I just don't get it". People buy or have built a rifle wanting to meet a velocity/accuracy goal. The next thing they want to do is make the barrel shorter because it handles better or they want to use a 'can'. When you do, you loose velocity. If you want a shorter barreled rifle that's now a .280AI, re-barrel to 7mm/08. It'll be much more efficient.

Last edited:
You will loose velocity, suppressors don't really "gain " speed--- if you did a comparison of an 18" with and without a suppressor you might gain 15 to 20fps at most with the suppressor but don't count on a velocity gain of much of anything.

Other thing to think about is what length of barrel the suppressor is rated for (check with manu)--- you should be ok with your cartridge, but its good to check. As the barrel length gets shorter, your muzzle pressure increases and suppressors have a "pressure max rating" that only the manufacturer can tell you what they say is safe.

Also , check actual weights of barrels--- remember that carbon fiber is "lighter in weight over comparable barrel profiles"--- this doesn't necessarily mean a cf barrel is lighter than your steel barrel --- you might be able to loose more weight by changing optics or the stock. The factory weight of your rifle is 8.15 lbs ( pretty average weight)

Last edited:
You will loose velocity if you shorten the barrel. I am to the point that "I just don't get it". People buy or have built a rifle wanting to meet a velocity/accuracy goal. The next thing they want to do is make the barrel shorter because it handles better or they want to use a 'can'. When you do, you loose velocity. If you want a shorter barreled rifle that's now a .280AI, re-barrel to 7mm/08. It'll be much more efficient.

It may be more efficient but it is still slower than having the larger cartridge in a shorter barrel. With the 6.5 PRC you lose about 200 fps going from an 24" barrel down to an 18" barrel. This is roughly the difference between the PRC and the Creedmoor but dropping down to the Creedmoor still knocks an additional 150 to 200 fps off of that as well.

Rifles can get really long for some applications when you put a suppressor on them, even my short hunting can adds 7" to the barrel length. This may not be a problem out west where the shooting is long and the trees are far apart but hunting the tight pines and underbrush here in PA an overly long rifle can be a big hinderance while the velocity loss of a shorter barrel still exceeds the requirements at our maximum shooting range.

I would say with his 280 AI you are probably looking at losing 25 fps per inch for a total of about 100 fps.

I built a 20" 6.5SS specifically for running a TBAC Ultra 7 can and keeping overall length a bit more compact.
I shoot the exact same loads in my 26" 6.5SS running a TBAC Ultra 9, and I lose 121-123fps on every load with the 20".

But, I hunt out west, and have not found a 26" barrel plus a 9" can to be too unwieldy. I think a 22" is about perfect for a hunting rifle plus can for a carry rifle, and a 26" plus can for open country hunting.

20" w. Ultra 9 vs 22" w. Ultra 7. The 20" w. Ultra 7 is the same length as a 26" w. Brake.
20200327_200149.jpg

Your definitely going to lose velocity with the barrel decrease and there has been some mixed info that i have read about cans actually adding or removing velocity. It seems to be kind of a YMMV type thing. I think you will probably pick up a bit of velocity but not all of it back.

Thank you, fellas. It looks like the consensus is that I would lose speed (I knew that I would w/a shorter barrel) even with a can. I probably should just sell the rifle and keep looking. I do like the 280 AI caliber. It's in a sweet spot for me.

Velocity will suffer but a shorter barrel aint always bad. I had the Tikka altralite threaded for a can to help with recoil=it work great exept the can throws the balance way off.... I can live with the point of impact change with the can but it carries like dung over the shoulder? The current barrel is heaviy flutted so shortening the barrel is not an option or it would be shorter just to balance it out!
thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

Plan on 25 fps per inch loss of fps. I run a 18" prc with a can. ZERO regrets. I've gone from 28" barrels to 18-22 on everything that runs a can unless it's a range rifle

I have been running a Sig Cross with the 18" barrel in 6.5CM and and it handles beautifully with an 8" suppressor. I'll second what @CMP70306 said and say that running a magnum vs standard with almost always gain you 150-200fps, so maybe that means 6.5PRC at 18" vs 6.5CM at 22-24" or a 7SAUM at 18-20" vs a 280AI at 22-26".

With the Savage barrel already being fluted, you might be better suited to a lighter stock to save weight. Don't try to run too heavy/long of a bullet out of the 9 twist.

Slower is fine, just watch your terminal range and wind deflection.

The last two guns I built were an 18 in Clymr 6.5 PRC and 20 in Magnus 7LRM running Gunwerks 6ix and 8ight cans, respectively. The speed trade off with size is completely acceptable.

I just built a 18" 308 that also have a 22" 7/08 barrel I can throw in it in about 5 minutes. This I built and assembled completely myself using shoulder barrel prefits.
Plan on developing your round using the suppressor as I've had some minor issues running developed hot loads and then screwing on the suppressor to then find some pressure warnings. Just under 8lbs as you see it pictured.

5ACECFD4-1A78-45D1-B623-5C59CDED62A5.jpeg