Rebarrel a Savage 30/06 to 35 Whelen

Waynard

What are you fellas thoughts? I've got a Savage 110 30/06 with a Timney trigger and accuracy isn't the best. So I'm thinking of swapping the barrel for a 35 Whelen barrel. I don't know 22 inch or 24 inch. Shilen, Hart, or Lilja. Maybe 1 in 14 inch twist to shoot 200 to 225 gr. bullets. gun)

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.
Elmer Keith

I would go with a 24" barrel and load the 225 tsx's. You should be able to get around 2600 and it will hammer anything in North America.

Reuben

If I were to build one I would be looking at a 1-12 twist to handle all bullet weights. With that said I have a M700 with the factory 1-16 which handles 200gr-250gr bullets well.
PacNor will cut you a 1-12 twist.

Check out Shilen web site. They have ready to go Savage barrels priced between $345 for CM BLUED up to SS select match $449. Hard to beat that price and I have never gotten a Shilen that was not a shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.