Rebarrel a Model 7 300 SUAM to 270 WSM

Darryle

I have a factory 7 300 SAUM, haven't fired a round thru it and have no desire, bought it specifically to rebarrel. I have flip flopped between the 270 & 7MM WSM, but have settled on the 270 WSM. I have a half dozen 300 WSM rifles, a few 7MM WSM rifles but not a single 270 WSM. Looking at a 1 in 9" twist to run bullets up to 150gr.

Anything I need to be aware of before I jump in this rabbit hole?

Thanks

I have a factory 7 300 SAUM, haven't fired a round thru it and have no desire, bought it specifically to rebarrel. I have flip flopped between the 270 & 7MM WSM, but have settled on the 270 WSM. I have a half dozen 300 WSM rifles, a few 7MM WSM rifles but not a single 270 WSM. Looking at a 1 in 9" twist to run bullets up to 150gr.

Thanks
You would be limiting the performance of the WSM by having to seat the bullets into the case quite a ways. I would take a look at the 270 Sherman short. It will run a 150 LRAB at 3150' at max velocity out of my 21" barrel st 2.855" coal. It will run a 170 Berger at 2950' at around 2.9". It also has better brass made by ADG.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

Only thing down that hole is a rabbit.
If you need more room in the mag box put a Wyatt's in there the conversion is simple. It's a great round.
Shep

1/9 will be fine for 150's and under ,1/8 would be better for 150's and up your call , lots of shooters and hunters have had great success running the 270wsm, if your not up on Sherman wildcats you should also check them out.

I'd leave your Model Seven as is or change it to a 7 SAUM.
I love my Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM.
I don't find it to be lacking in anything.

Yeah just noticed it's a model 7 not a 700. I don't know why they put those in model 7s.
Shep
They put the SAUM in the Model Seven so there'd be an ultra-lite option. The manufactures (Rem., Win., Ruger, S&W, Savage and others) don't make any firearm to be modified or changed from the way it left their factory. That thought is not on their minds. I'd guess 95%-99% of firearms that are sold are never contemplated to be modified or changed by the original buyer. Ya', grips get changed on handguns and some up-grade a rifles stock and/or trigger, but that's usually about as far as it goes.

I'd leave your Model Seven as is or change it to a 7 SAUM.
I love my Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM.
I don't find it to be lacking in anything.

Just looking at the ballistics of the 270 WSM vs the 7MM SAUM, with a 150gr bullet, the 270 WSM has an average 100 fps at the muzzle on the 7mm SAUM with a 150gr bullet.

If I am going to change it to a 7mm, I will build it around the 7mm WSM, but the 270 WSM has grabbed my attention.

I have the PT&G one piece bottom metal that I ordered for anther 7 build(375 Socom), but have since ordered the bottom metal for the AICS mags for that rifle.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Thanks!

Just looking at the ballistics of the 270 WSM vs the 7MM SAUM, with a 150gr bullet, the 270 WSM has an average 100 fps at the muzzle on the 7mm SAUM with a 150gr bullet.

If I am going to change it to a 7mm, I will build it around the 7mm WSM, but the 270 WSM has grabbed my attention.

I have the PT&G one piece bottom metal that I ordered for anther 7 build(375 Socom), but have since ordered the bottom metal for the AICS mags for that rifle.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and help.

Thanks!

I never fooled with the 150s. I'm shooting 160 grain Partitions and Accubonds at 2980fps and 2960fps.
Good luck with your build.

Thanks
Depending on the game you plan on hunting. I hunted one season with a 270wsm and a 130gr Ballistic Tip...... @3300fps ... I should have used heavier bullets. All animals where DRT. But, way too much meat loss. I think a heavier bullet would have minimized the meat loss or, maybe a slower load. (1 deer, 2 antelope) 3 heart/lung shots and lost all three shoulders on the opposite side.

More the bullet construction than the weight. Of course, the lighter of two bullets of same type from a given mfg. will expand more.

I am a 270 guy so asking me would be as biased as they get. I would definitely go with the 270 WSM. 1:8" barrel and start with the 150 monos and the heavy Bergers. 150 - 175 grain.
I want to make one of my 270 WSM's into a heavy slug shooter. so planing a barrel swap to a 1:8" or 1:7" twisted 26" barrel and a better scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.