Rebarrel a Christensen or sell?

I had a Bergara 300wm that I sold a few months ago because I couldn't find ammo and it cost too much when I did. So I bought a Christensen arms mesa 308win because the rifle was available and I could find ammo everywhere and it didn't break the bank to shoot. My dilemma now is that the Christensen won't group under 4+ inches with any factory ammo I put through it. I have been a dedicated Bergara owner and was hesitant going with a Christensen and now I am debating on if I should sell the rifle and be done with it and go back to a Bergara or get the Christensen rebarreled. Any thoughts?
I'd sell the Christensen personally....I had one...wasn't impressed either.The new barrel and work to change it out is half a new gun...just me

Sir, check your muzzle brake. I have had bad experiences with the brake not being drilled properly and a friend of mine had one that was drilled wrong. Take the brake off and shoot it. If it still does not shoot then send it back and have it checked for straightness. I have 2 christensen rifles and both shoot .5 inch groups at 200 yards. Both Mesa's.

I would take the break off and shot. If that is not it, change scopes to a proven scope. If that is not it, check your bedding. Make sure your action is square in the stock before you torque it down. I have used wooden toothpicks on both sides of the barrel placed at the same depth, just forward of the chamber to make sure the spacing between the barrel and stock are the same on both sides as all the way down. I tighten the action screws, set proper inch-pound torque. i then check the barrel to stock clearance with a dollar bill to see if there are pinch points. If the barrel is making contact on one side or the other, it throws off your barrel harmonics.

Did you properly break in the rifle per CA's instructions? That's 50-60 rounds of shoot and clean. After about a 100 rounds my 6.5 PRC dropped from .75 to consistently in the .38 to .625 range.

howco is spot on with over torqueing scope rings, I ran into the same problem.
I did exactly what CA recommended for break in. I've been skeptical about break in procedures but I have always followed them just in case. Figured it might not help but it couldn't hurt either.

Check all the easy possibilities first.
1) Inspect the end of the barrel, not the screw on accessories, to see if the gun was dropped on the muzzle and burred the end of the barrel rifling. If it has a screw on accessory(such as a muzzle brake), it could have been dropped before installation.
2) Check alignment of scope mount. Look at the scope to see if there are any impressions on the scope tube that would indicate the scope mount cap was digging into the scope and Not uniform pressure the full length. That can bend or crush the scope. Also buy the scope alignment rods with sharp points that will perfectly come together if each of the scope mounting cylindrical surfaces are aligned.
Wish the best on the endeavor of determining what the issue is.

I have a Mesa in .300 WM it took about 60 rds to settle down. Now it's a .5" grouper with what it likes. 150 rds is a bit much especially for a .308…. Mine has the radial brake on it as well and I had to loctite it on as it kept walking. I clean my brake with pipe cleaners that have stiff plastic "hairs" in them. Works really well if tedious. (and it's more tedious if you forget where you started…) I have a Vortex Razor HD LHT on mine. Pretty happy but it sounds like you might have gotten a Friday afternoon rifle…

Looks like I'll be starting with the brake and scope independent from each other first. If thats not it I will be contacting CA and give them a chance to make it right. I am just hoping to get something figured out before the hunts begin. I really appreciate all the advice.

I had a Bergara 300wm that I sold a few months ago because I couldn't find ammo and it cost too much when I did. So I bought a Christensen arms mesa 308win because the rifle was available and I could find ammo everywhere and it didn't break the bank to shoot. My dilemma now is that the Christensen won't group under 4+ inches with any factory ammo I put through it. I have been a dedicated Bergara owner and was hesitant going with a Christensen and now I am debating on if I should sell the rifle and be done with it and go back to a Bergara or get the Christensen rebarreled. Any thoughts?
Decopper your barrel with Sweets 7.62. Unless you have 10,000+ rds through your 308.

Decopper your barrel with Sweets 7.62. Unless you have 10,000+ rds through your 308.
Check the Scope ( Buy, a Leupold or, Burris,.. IF, Necessary ! ) check Crown & Brake alignment/ bullet clearence, Re- Torque and ABSOLUTELY CLEAN, ALL, the Copper and Carbon out ( CLR and C-4 Carbon Remover ! ) , Get the" Krap" OUT of, the barrel and "Throat" as stated, above !
Yup, that means, 2 or 3, Cleanings and soak the Brake, in CLR !
THEN, If all else fails and Rifle still does NOT shoot, up to "expectations", Buy a Tikka, as they are about, the Price of,..
a New Barrel, Installed by, a competent, Gunsmith !

Last edited: