Rebarrel a 338 WM to ????

Not a ballistic know all, but I would suggest, with respects to the op stating a lesser concern for the long range, A) 338-06 or B) 35 Whelen, both long action. A using op's existing bullet stock and B offering large game knock down energy, with a 180 gr. bullet option. They're both formidable, giving good bullet expansion & weight retention with slower speeds. Just my two bits. TT
I know little about the model 70, would that require a different bolt? Seeing as how his current rifle is set up for a cartridge that works with a .540" bolt face diameter instead of the .470" of the '06 based cases you mentioned.

I know little about the model 70, would that require a different bolt? Seeing as how his current rifle is set up for a cartridge that works with a .540" bolt face diameter instead of the .470" of the '06 based cases you mentioned.
Yes, just like with any rifle, if you're trying to go down in bolt face diameter, you will need a new bolt (or a bolt head, in some rifle's cases). Also, you will need a new magazine box and follower for the smaller diameter cases.

This is why I mentioned the 7mm RemMag and .264 WinMag... It will require no mods, other than a barrel swap. They are also based off the same .300 H&H parent case as the .338 WinMag is. I do recommend blueprinting the action, while the smith has it pulled apart.

I was going to vote 270 WSM but modding a long action M70 might be a pain to feed. Kinda hard not to agree with 7mm Rem Mag; ubiquity, easy to load for, can be low recoil... There's just not much it can't do well.

It's a good point to be considered, adding to the mix of this discussion here Bravo 4, along with the others being mentioned.
I would say that if one of the two I calibers I posted satisfies the op's requirements for the build, it's a small amount of effort made, for the return. A broader compliment in the safe, with wider range of smack down options, for larger tougher game hunted, with less recoil and another round or two in the magazine to count on (depends on the mag). I could be easily corrected on this, but the larger calibers mentioned have FPS that at closer ranges (50 to 200yds) will not have the terminal performance the 338-06 A-Square or the 35 Whelen will, with less powder, cheaper brass and 2700+, 2900+ FPS. Good for a lead gun or back up, on the hunt.

You could go with an SS cartridge, but they would be better served in a short-action, since they were designed specifically for that purpose.

I'd go with a 1:8 twist 7mmRM for your rifle, or a 1:7 twist .264 WinMag... For shooting the heavies out of it.

Just making sure that would work for 175g's out of a 20" barrel? I'm talking the RM.

It's a good point to be considered, adding to the mix of this discussion here Bravo 4, along with the others being mentioned.
I would say that if one of the two I calibers I posted satisfies the op's requirements for the build, it's a small amount of effort made, for the return. A broader compliment in the safe, with wider range of smack down options, for larger tougher game hunted, with less recoil and another round or two in the magazine to count on (depends on the mag). I could be easily corrected on this, but the larger calibers mentioned have FPS that at closer ranges (50 to 200yds) will not have the terminal performance the 338-06 A-Square or the 35 Whelen will, with less powder, cheaper brass and 2700+, 2900+ FPS. Good for a lead gun or back up, on the hunt.

Great options for diversity in my safe. The only bummer is that if i go this route then I cant put my suppressor on it. And that was one of the main reasons for changing the caliber.

Great options for diversity in my safe. The only bummer is that if i go this route then I cant put my suppressor on it. And that was one of the main reasons for changing the caliber.
What bullets do you shoot with the other wsm? Would a m70 have the mag length to use 225s or 230s with the wsm? Shooting the heavies vs the mid weight 180s makes it a different animal and not as redundant. For myself I'd go with the improved 300prc of Rich's that can shoot factory ammo. That's wicked performance

Just making sure that would work for 175g's out of a 20" barrel? I'm talking the RM.
Any barrel can shoot any bullet...You just need the right twist to stabilize it, and a 1:8 should be more than adequate for a 7mm 175. Also you won't get the max performance (velocity) from it, like you would with the longer 26" barrel.

I would go 24" barrel, at least a 3B contour, and a lightweight suppressor like that new Energetic Armament Vox. It's ridiculously light and quiet. Also, with a direct-thread mount setup, it's only 5.9" OAL. That's the can I plan on going with for my hunting rifles once I get some spare cash.

Not a suppressor guy. About that though, I imagine it's caliber specific and if it's coming soon, have you ordered it or not yet? Can a smith bored to a caliber of choice after order? How narrow are your caliber choices then? Update us please, so we're contributing in the right direction.
tt

Not a suppressor guy. About that though, I imagine it's caliber specific and if it's coming soon, have you ordered it or not yet? Can a smith bored to a caliber of choice after order? How narrow are your caliber choices then? Update us please, so we're contributing in the right direction.
tt
Good questions.
They are not caliber specific, although the cal that you order is the max cal that you can shoot out of it. (There's other things that come into play such as barrel length that play into pressure/heat but I don't think thats what your asking)
I have ordered a Thunderbeast ultra 7 in 30 cal which is a 7" suppressor that can handle a .30 cal max bullet.
I'm not interested in a RUM so the minimum barrel length i can get away with for a 7mm or 300 WM is an 18" barrel. I can go smaller/lesser powder with no issues. I got this one so I can use it on multiple rifles all the way down to a .223
I have a 6.5/06 threaded and ready to go so I'm looking for something with more knock down power for the suppressor.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.