Rebarrel a 338 WM to ????

TBuckus

I have a Model 70 push feed 338WM that is want to rebarrel. I'll let you guys know what I am thinking and why, then hopefully someone more knowledgeable could let me know if my thinking is right.

I have a suppressor coming soon. I have a tikka 300WSM that I was initially thinking of putting it on, but found out the barrel is too thin and mods would need to be made and I like it the way it is.

The 338 needs a new barrel and am thinking of rechambering to a 300wsm with a 20" barrel since the suppressor is 7". My thinking is to go WSM vs Win Mag since it is a short barrel and I already have WSM dies.
I'm not concerned about long range with this rifle. It's an older rifle I got from my uncle and feel that if I want a long range build with the suppressor, I should get a different receiver instead of dumping money in this one.

Last edited:
Seems a little redundant having two 300 WSM's
Maybe sell both and pick up a custom 700 action, no idea how light you want to go but Mesa Precision has a special on titanium actions right now, $1200 I think..
build that WSM on a long action and it'd make up for some of that barrel loss.
One thing I've learned is do it right the first time, otherwise you'll never be totally satisfied.

If you don't mind a wildcat, I have something new out next month. It's the new 300 PRC with an Improved chamber that I've been running for about 5 years now by modifying the 375 Ruger. It's kind of a wildcat that isn't because you can shoot the factory Hornady ammo in the improved chamber and you have the improved brass ready to relaod with a big boost in performance. It will run the 225 ELDM, for example, at 3000' which is Norma mag territory.

True, but so would a 300 win mag. Now if you can convince me that it is better than a 300, I'm in.
Trying to convince a .300WM supporter that a 7mmRM is better (even though they are almost identical on paper when you compare equal weight-for-caliber bullets), is like trying to convince a 6.5CM supporter that the .260 Rem. is better (despite them also being nearly identical ballistically, with a slight edge to the .260 Rem). No matter how true and proven it is, they will still never believe you.

But, I will say this, the 7mm does everything so much better, that it even does a better job of being a .300WM...Than a .300WM. :D

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/anyone-own-a-7mm-300-win-mag.51404/

If you don't mind a wildcat, I have something new out next month. It's the new 300 PRC with an Improved chamber that I've been running for about 5 years now by modifying the 375 Ruger. It's kind of a wildcat that isn't because you can shoot the factory Hornady ammo in the improved chamber and you have the improved brass ready to relaod with a big boost in performance. It will run the 225 ELDM, for example, at 3000' which is Norma mag territory.

Sounds like a lot of recoil. As I get older, I'm becoming more of a wimp. That's why I want to turn the 338 into something lighter in recoil.
Bet that'll be a great long range cal

Sounds like a lot of recoil. As I get older, I'm becoming more of a wimp. That's why I want to turn the 338 into something lighter in recoil.
Bet that'll be a great long range cal
The 7mm RemMag does actually have less recoil than the .300WM... That is something it does better. It uses less powder and shoots a bit flatter (higher BC for weight bullets). A 7mm 175 Elite Hunter has a higher BC than a .30 cal 175.

Trying to convince a .300WM supporter that a 7mmRM is better (even though they are almost identical on paper when you compare equal weight-for-caliber bullets), is like trying to convince a 6.5CM supporter that the .260 Rem. is better (despite them also being nearly identical ballistically, with a slight edge to the .260 Rem). No matter how true and proven it is, they will still never believe you.

But, I will say this, the 7mm does everything so much better, that it even does a better job of being a .300WM...Than a .300WM. :D

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/anyone-own-a-7mm-300-win-mag.51404/

Would you say the same with the 7wsm vs 7RM?
Ive read enough that the 300wsm vs 300wm is similar to the 6.5CM 260rem argument.
One reason I'm thinking of a WSM is I think it would work better in a short barrel

Would you say the same with the 7wsm vs 7RM?
Ive read enough that the 300wsm vs 300wm is similar to the 6.5CM 260rem argument.
One reason I'm thinking of a WSM is I think it would work better in a short barrel
That is correct from my experiences shooting both. I would say they were negligible in recoil weight. But the 7WSM was slightly sharper and faster recoiling due to the shorter and fatter powder column, and had a bit more perceived muzzle flip, compared to the 7mm RemMag. But as far as overall recoil, they were basically the same.

I'm not a recoil sensitive person, so I'm being as honest as I can be.

Not a ballistic know all, but I would suggest, with respects to the op stating a lesser concern for the long range, A) 338-06 or B) 35 Whelen, both long action. A using op's existing bullet stock and B offering large game knock down energy, with a 180 gr. bullet option. They're both formidable, giving good bullet expansion & weight retention with slower speeds. Just my two bits. TT

You could go with an SS cartridge, but they would be better served in a short-action, since they were designed specifically for that purpose.

I'd go with a 1:8 twist 7mmRM for your rifle, or a 1:7 twist .264 WinMag... For shooting the heavies out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.