Rebarrel a 338 win mag into long range cartridge

guide4u

I have a Browning A bolt 338 win mag that I do not use. Would like to build a long range rifle. What cal. Would be good choice for this. I was thinking about 264 win mag to shoot hornady 147 eldx

I have a Browning A bolt 338 win mag that I do not use. Would like to build a long range rifle. What cal. Would be good choice for this. I was thinking about 264 win mag to shoot hornady 147 eldx
There's certainly nothing at all wrong with the .264. With modern powders and high BC bullets it's more capable than ever. If you go that route though be sure and at least go with a 1:8 if not 1:7.5 or even 1:7 twist so you can take full advantage of the higher BC bullets.

Personally I see no need in shooting anything much over 140gr but I'm getting more and more settled on copper/allow monolithics and they will run about 10% longer than traditional cup and core bullets in the same weight so it requires a faster twist to stabilize a monolithic bullet vs a cup/core bullet due to the difference in density.

Blueprint the action, lap the lugs, and put on a 26" 1:8 twist carbon fiber barrel chambered for 7mm RemMag to shoot the Berger 195 Elite Hunters would be my suggestion. And drop it in a McMillan stock.

What length barrel, for the 264, have heard 26 would be better. What do you think is the best barrel for price in a stainless steel no brake.

What length barrel, for the 264, have heard 26 would be better. What do you think is the best barrel for price in a stainless steel no brake.
26" is about right for the case size but do yourself a favor and go ahead and add a brake. There's nothing that beats being able to spot your hits and a good brake will allow you to keep on target.

I have 12 of these on rifles from .260Rem through .375 Ruger and they are great for both recoil and muzzle flip reduction but don't punish the shooter.

https://www.macsgunworks.com/muzzle-brakes

He also makes a great and very reasonably priced suppressor if you want to go that route.

Best bang for the buck? Any of the top ten or so manufacturers out there today can do you a good job.

I lean towards Benchmark Barrels myself. They will true your action, finish, and install a new barrel for around 800.00 last I checked but it would be hard to go wrong with any of the top ten or so.

Blueprint the action, lap the lugs, and put on a 26" 1:8 twist carbon fiber barrel chambered for 7mm RemMag to shoot the Berger 195 Elite Hunters would be my suggestion. And drop it in a McMillan stock.

I already have a 7mm RemMag in a Ruger 77 with a 24" factory barrel. Have not played with it much but doesn't seem to shoot very good groups. Have a McMillan stock on a 300 Wby and like it. Do you think the McMillan would help the 77? Also kicks like a mule compared to the 300 Wby.

I already have a 7mm RemMag in a Ruger 77 with a 24" factory barrel. Have not played with it much but doesn't seem to shoot very good groups. Have a McMillan stock on a 300 Wby and like it. Do you think the McMillan would help the 77? Also kicks like a mule compared to the 300 Wby.
You could always go with the same specs, but in a .28 Nosler, but then you'd have to change out your internal magazine for a 7mm or 300 RUM magazine. Which shouldn't be too hard to find on the internet. Everything else on an A-Bolt should be the same, without needing modification, since the mag box is removable and handles all the case feeding.

As for the McMillan, aftermarket stocks almost always improve the feel and performance of a rifle, compared to a factory stock. So if you have the cash, and the rifle shoots good, why not give it a helping hand? It should shoot even better than before with a fully-bedded and floated McM stock on it. Both of my Ruger 77 MKII's kick like a mule, too. I have a big brother/little brother set. Both are stainless with the skeleton stocks, but one is a full-size 7mmRM with a 24" barrel, and the other is a mountain rifle in 7mm-08.

That was one I thought of but will .28 Nosler fit the bolt? What do you think of Bell & Carlson stocks?

Also have a 300 wby built on a 700 Remington action with a removable magazine. I would like to seat the bullet longer but the magazine is too short. Someone told me that longer magazine was available from aftermarket. Do you know anything about that.

That was one I thought of but will .28 Nosler fit the bolt? What do you think of Bell & Carlson stocks?

Also have a 300 wby built on a 700 Remington action with a removable magazine. I would like to seat the bullet longer but the magazine is too short. Someone told me that longer magazine was available from aftermarket. Do you know anything about that.
Yes, .28 Nosler uses same .540" bolt face. The case is fatter (based off of the RUM/.404 Jeffery cases), so you will need a RUM magazine, but other than that, should not require any other modifications.

I have a couple B&C stocks, but not a huge fan of them. I prefer the older HS Precision (no palmswell) and McMillan & Manners. The Stocky's Long Range Composite and carbon fiber stocks are also a very nice and affordable option from what I hear. I haven't gotten a chance to try one yet, but I hear nothing but positive things.

Yes, Wyatt's Outdoors sells the 4.000" Rem 700 mag boxes. This should be the correct one for your rifle. But I'd call them and verify that this one is for the magnum cartridges.

http://wyattsoutdoor.com/product_info.php/products_id/39

Thanks, that gives me something to work with. I will look at some parts and talk to my gun smith.
Going back into the Scapegoat Wilderness for another hunt tomorrow so will have some time out of service.

Not sure if this is possible but just get a reamer for the 338 Edge and have a Smith set it up . If your barrel is 1/10 twist you should be good . Better add a nice brake too .

Not sure if this is possible but just get a reamer for the 338 Edge and have a Smith set it up . If your barrel is 1/10 twist you should be good . Better add a nice brake too .
He'll still need a new mag box... .338 Edge is based on .300 RUM. Still a fatter case than the .338 WinMag. Also, he'll need the longer mag box (4.000") to take advantage of the longer RUM-based cartridge.

I have worked with several Ruger 77's, and THEY ALL KICKED LIKE HELL!! Not sure why. Stock design is my guess.

Depends on the Ruger honestly. The old tang safety models never did it for me but I've had several of the MKII's that shot very well.

What kind of stock is on it now? Their laminate stocks tend to be very good but you need someone that knows what they are doing to properly bed them and you have to keep them torqued properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts