Rebarrel a 300wsm to a 7wsm for better ballistics?

DocGlenn

I've got a 300wsm that shoots well, it's my "mountain" rifle that weighs 7.5 lbs with scope. If I limit myself to 600yds, would it make sense to rebarrel this rifle to a 7wsm to have the better ballistics? It's a custom rifle on a Rem SA.

How much should I expect to spend to rebarrel, or would it make more sense to get a new rifle? Just wondering, thanks!

I've got a 300wsm that shoots well, it's my "mountain" rifle that weighs 7.5 lbs with scope. If I limit myself to 600yds, would it make sense to rebarrel this rifle to a 7wsm to have the better ballistics? It's a custom rifle on a Rem SA.

How much should I expect to spend to rebarrel, or would it make more sense to get a new rifle? Just wondering, thanks!

Well it dosent make any sense to me. I dont think your gaining anything at all and I personaly will always pick a 30cal over a 7mm. Have you thought about a bigger bullet?

The 7WSM does have the ballistic advantage, but I wouldn't expect to see any meaningful difference inside of 600 yards. If that's the maximum range you'll shoot with it, then I probably wouldn't bother.

dont bother unless recoil is an issue.

The 300 wsm has and advantage over the 7 wsm in terminal preformance, by a fair margin.

the 7 wsm is goin to be easier to shoot and will shoot flatter.

Both will stomp anything in North America with (exclude big bears, but will still work on em') to the range specified. I like the 7's but deffinatly wouldnt change if I already had a custom Mtn rifle in my possesion.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.