rebarrel 7 rem mag?

upacreek

Been lurking awhile. Been shooting the same rifle for 24 years and want to stick with it. Shot the barrel out of it so I paid the lowest bidder to hang a new shilen barrel on it. I asked for a tight chamber and 1/9 twist. Received a 1/12.5 freebored barrel. SUCK! NO recourse to take on the gun smith. Needless to say I want to start over. My research indicates I should go with a 1/8.5 twist but hart only offers 1/9 or 1/8. This gun will only see 160-180 gr loads and I want accuracy to 600 yrds.
Any one have real life experience that could help me decide what to do?
After spending good money on my trusty rifle I want it to stand out in my gun collection. Hart offers a skip twist flute, but I want to maintain a high gloss blue finish any suggestions? Hart doesn't advertise CM.
Any other input would be appreciated. Every other gun I have I can dial in through hand loads. This is my first rebarrel and don't want to screw up again.

I would recomend a 1 in 9 twist in at least a #4 or larger contour.

The 1 in 9 will shoot all bullet weights in 7mm.

Talk to Dan Lilja about a barrel, you wont be sorry.

J E CUSTOM

If you are set on a 1-8.5 krieger offers that in CM. I agree that a 1-9 will get you where you want to go. I have a krieger on my 7mag. and am not disapointed there are several good manufactures out there. Lilja is good though I am going on second hand knowledge on that one. Kriegers lead time is at 26 wks right now unless they have what you want in stock. Cost is $310.00 Good luck.

Top 5 picks, Lilja, Benchmark, Bartlien, Kreiger, Brux. The 1:9 is plenty as stated, the only bullet I can think of that won't stabilize in a 9 twist at 7mm rm velocities may be bergers newest, the 195grn hunting hybrid. Hawk Hill customs offers a 8.7 twist but they only do stainless.

I would recomend a 1 in 9 twist in at least a #4 or larger contour.

The 1 in 9 will shoot all bullet weights in 7mm.

Talk to Dan Lilja about a barrel, you wont be sorry.

J E CUSTOM

I don't know if this helps out the op or not but the next barrel for my 7mag is, Lilja 28" #6 contour fluted SS, 1 in 9. barrel weight should finish at about 4lbs or slightly more, full 2lbs less than the barrel I have now.

I don't know if this helps out the op or not but the next barrel for my 7mag is, Lilja 28" #6 contour fluted SS, 1 in 9. barrel weight should finish at about 4lbs or slightly more, full 2lbs less than the barrel I have now.

The #6 contour is one of my favorites, And is my go to barrel contour unless the customer
wants to go with something else.

The #6 contour will normally fit in most sporter stocks without removing to much wood.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions as to barrel length? I decided on 26", but could be swayed shorter. Considering a fluted #6 CM from krieger. I ride 4 hrs each way to my elk camp and hike steep mountains. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?

Thanks for the input. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?

Don't know what finish will absolutely hold up in a scabbard. Maybe one of the baked on coatings like Cera cote.

My Browning with a #4 barrel in 7mm will shoot 4-5 inches at 500 for every one who has tried from sandbags or bi-pod. This has been a pretty popular rifle to borrow at the range. We hang steel at 500 and bang away. :D

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions as to barrel length? I decided on 26", but could be swayed shorter. Considering a fluted #6 CM from krieger. I ride 4 hrs each way to my elk camp and hike steep mountains. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?

All finishes will show wear from constant rubbing in a lined scabbard. The best scabbard lining actually is nothing but soft goat or calf skin leather. Sheepskin looks great but in truth it's pretty abrasive.

Cerakote is the most resistant of all finishes if it's applied properly, baked in, and allowed the proper curing time.

You definitely want to stick with 26" or longer otherwise you are either wasting case capacity or bowing out a lot of still burning powder and not able to get optimum velocities. The bigger the muzzle flash the more recoil as well as the muzzle flash is essentially the same thing that makes rockets fly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts