Rebarrel 30 T/C?

tnolly

This falls in the "too obscure " category. I bought a TC Icon in the 30 TC caliber. Factory ammo is now non existent. Hornady told me they did a run of ammo in March 2021. They don't anticipate another run until next year.
I don't care to reload, mostly a time issue. I have a few rounds to get me through this hunting season.
It's my general purpose hunting rifle for deer and elk inside 300 yards.
What would you do?
I could just reload for it, or rebarrel to something else. 6.5 Creed or?

Yes, you could reload for it because there is brass available, Hornady, but brass none the less.

You could set the barrel back a couple of threads then cut a new .308 Win. chamber. Your gunsmith needs to understand the difference in the shoulder diameter between these cartridges, with the 30 TC having a shoulder 0.010" larger in diameter.

I'm unsure of any new barrels being available from T/C but you could also have a brand spanky new barrel threaded and chambered in any of the cartridges which were available originally. Or basically pick a cartridge which fits the receiver and is the proper pressure range. Yes, 6.5 Creedmoor will work with a new barrel.

Enjoy!

:)

Have you tried to sell it? I only ask as it seems anyone will buy just about any gun right now. Maybe just trade it in at the local pawn shop on another Rifle. // quick google search turned up plenty of ammo.

Last edited:
Really just depends on your budget.
If you're going to reuse the barrel, cut a 308W chamber.
Reloading is the easiest...if you're willing.
If you're going to buy a new barrel, I'd still opt for a 308W because it's great on elk at the distance you mentioned.

Maybe not as fast, but most likely better accuracy.
Accuracy trumps velocity in my book. If you can't hit it, speed means nothing. If you can increase accuracy, then you've increased the effective range of both your rifle and your confidence level.
I'm curious as to your average group size, not the smallest group the rifle has ever shot, but the average group size with factory ammo.
Plus, you could get a fair amount of components for what you'd pay for a barrel job.

Last edited:
This falls in the "too obscure " category. I bought a TC Icon in the 30 TC caliber. Factory ammo is now non existent. Hornady told me they did a run of ammo in March 2021. They don't anticipate another run until next year.
I don't care to reload, mostly a time issue. I have a few rounds to get me through this hunting season.
It's my general purpose hunting rifle for deer and elk inside 300 yards.
What would you do?
I could just reload for it, or rebarrel to something else. 6.5 Creed or?
How much would you part with it for….I email Smith and Wesson and TC like daily asking them to bring back the Icon 😂😂😂I can't be the only one. That rifle was way ahead of its time.

How much would you part with it for….I email Smith and Wesson and TC like daily asking them to bring back the Icon 😂😂😂I can't be the only one. That rifle was way ahead of its time.
It's a great rifle out of the box. Good trigger, tight action, even the stock is pretty good. Biggest downfall is the lack of aftermarket support.

Maybe not as fast, but most likely better accuracy.
Accuracy trumps velocity in my book. If you can't hit it, speed means nothing. If you can increase accuracy, then you've increased the effective range of both your rifle and your confidence level.
I'm curious as to your average group size, not the smallest group the rifle has ever shot, but the average group size with factory ammo.
Plus, you could get a fair amount of components for what you'd pay for a barrel job.
Average groups are 3/4-1 inch at 100. I'll often get two holes touching.

It's a great rifle out of the box. Good trigger, tight action, even the stock is pretty good. Biggest downfall is the lack of aftermarket support.
Sometimes the aftermarket support is only necessary for putting lipstick on a pig. Plenty of people soup up Honda Civics, nobody soups ups a Ferrari.

But I hear ya, if a part breaks getting a replacement may be impossible or really expensive if you have to have a machine shop make it for you.